The New I-64 project was the first MoDOT project to use the “Design-Build” delivery method.
Design-Build provides a single point of responsibility in the contract in an attempt to reduce project risk, shorten the delivery schedule by overlapping the design phase and construction phase of a project and minimize overall project costs. The selection of the design-build contractor is based on qualifications of the proposed teams and the overall best value of each proposal based on the established end result goals of the project.
MoDOT established the following goals for the New I-64 Design-Build project:
- Deliver the project within the program budget of $535 million
- Complete the project no later than October 1, 2010
- Maximize the mobility and capacity improvements in the corridor when construction is complete
- Minimize and mitigate construction impacts to customers through construction staging and communication efforts
- Provide a quality product that produces a long lasting transportation facility
- Demonstrate a quality construction and communication effort that creates a new model for doing a design-build project