International Fuel Tax Agreement

Red semi truck driving around a curve toward the viewer


IFTA is an agreement among the United States (except Alaska and Hawaii) and Canadian provinces (except Northwestern Territories, Nunavut and Yukon) to simplify the reporting of fuel used by motor carriers operating in more than one jurisdiction.

MoDOT Motor Carrier Services announces a one month grace period for those who file International Fuel Tax Agreement returns for the first quarter of 2022. Late fees will be waived for those who file after April 30 but before June 1, 2022.

Missouri CANNOT waive interest charged by any other IFTA jurisdiction. After April 30, other states and provinces can assess interest on funds due.

The one month late fee waiver ends at 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, May 31, 2022. Any 1Q IFTA returns filed on June 1, 2022 or later will be assessed a late fee of $50 or 10% of the tax liability (whichever is greater).

When do I need an International Fuel Tax license and decal?

You are required to have an IFTA license if you operate in two or more jurisdictions and the power unit:

  • Has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight of 26,001 lbs. or heavier;
  • Has three or more axles regardless of weight; or
  • Is used in combination and the said combination is 26,001 lbs or heavier.

What forms and supporting documents are required prior to applying for a Missouri IFTA license and decals?

You must have a Missouri-issued license plate and must complete the Missouri IFTA application. If your company is incorporated and/or operates under a fictitious name, it must be properly registered with Missouri Secretary of State’s Office at before you submit an IFTA application. Be certain that the name on the IFTA application matches the registered name exactly.

Who is exempt from IFTA?

Recreational vehicles are exempt from IFTA requirements. In order to qualify as a recreational vehicle, a motor home, pickup truck with an attached camper, or a bus must be used only for personal pleasure by an individual and cannot be used in connection with any business endeavor.

How can I apply for an IFTA license and decals?

Complete the Motor Carrier Application located at or call MoDOT Motor Carrier Services at 1-866-831-6277 and select Option 2 to receive a copy by mail.

How long are an IFTA license and decals valid? The IFTA license and decals are valid for a calendar year, January 1 to December 31.

Recordkeeping Requirements

   How to know if an ELD complies with IFTA/IRP distance reporting

IFTA Frequently Asked Questions

IFTA, Inc Website