We require a permit to work on MoDOT's Right of Way for:
- Construction of driveways
- Modifications to existing driveways (e.g. proposed changes in width, grade, location, surface type, etc.)
- Grading or Excavations
- Irrigation installation
- Utility Installation or Maintenance
- Tree Removal or Trimming
- Traffic control
- And for many other activities on MoDOT’s Right of Way. Contact your Local Traffic Specialist for permit requirements for your proposed work activity.
To Obtain a Permit for Work on Right of Way:
- Find your Local Traffic Specialist: Northwest | Northeast | Kansas City | Central | St. Louis | Southwest | Southeast
- Submit an initial on-line request to obtain a permit.
- An engineered set of (drawings or plans) may be required depending upon the (scope, type, or complexity) of work proposed on the right of way.
- A traffic study may be required for larger developments or commercial activity.
- A hydraulic analysis may be required if storm water or drainage is impacted.
- A traffic control plan may be required for any proposed work on the right of way to notify and guide motorists through your activity area.
- A surety deposit may be required for some permits, which is refundable once the work is completed and inspected and accepted by MoDOT.
- A Performance Bond may be required to insure satisfaction and quality of work.
- Contact your Local Traffic Specialist for specific guidance on your particular request to work on MoDOT Right of Way.
- Utility Customers, please use the following link to access the Electronic Permitting Application:https://www6.modot.mo.gov/ElectronicPermittingExternal/Default.aspx
Once You Receive Your Permit:
- Call 1-800-344-7483 before you dig to get the location underground facilities.
- Submit a Notice of Intent to Perform Work to MoDOT, We require a minimum of two business days prior to any proposed lane closures.
- Keep a copy of the permit and any additional approved plans on the job site at all times.
- Contact the Local Traffic Specialist in your area prior to beginning work and when work is complete for a final inspection.
- If a surety deposit or performance bond is required they will be refunded or released three to four weeks after MoDOT has inspected and accepted the work