We require you to obtain a permit to work on MoDOT's Right of Way for:

  • Construction of driveways
  • Modifications to existing driveways (e.g. proposed changes in width, grade, location, surface type, etc.)
  • Grading or Excavations
  • Landscaping
  • Irrigation installation
  • Tree Removal or Trimming
  • Traffic control
  • And for many other activities on MoDOT’s Right of Way.
  • For EACH planned activity listed above - please submit an initial on-line request to obtain a permit. 
  • For Utility Companies and their delegated representatives who plan to conduct Utility Installation or Maintenance: 

Things Needed to Obtain a Permit for Work on Right of Way: 

  • An engineered set of (drawings or plans) may be required depending upon the (scope, type, or complexity) of work proposed on the right of way.
  • A traffic study may be required for larger developments or commercial activity.
  • A hydraulic analysis may be required if storm water or drainage is impacted.
  • A traffic control plan may be required for any proposed work on the right of way to notify and guide motorists through your activity area.
  • A surety deposit may be required for some permits, which is refundable once the work is completed and inspected and accepted by MoDOT.
  • Performance Bond ( may be required to insure satisfaction and quality of work.
  • Find your local Traffic Specialist by MoDOT District if you need additional specific guidance on your request to work on MoDOT Right of Way
    Northwest | Northeast | Kansas City | Central | St. Louis | Southwest | Southeast
    (Unsure of what MoDOT district the work is located?  Missouri Counties by MoDOT District)

Once You Receive Your Permit:

  • Call 1-800-344-7483 (DIG-RITE/MO One Call) before you dig to get the location underground facilities.
  • Submit a Notice of Intent to Perform Work to MoDOT, we require a minimum of two business days prior to any proposed lane closures.
  • Keep a copy of the permit and any additional approved plans on the job site at all times.
  • Contact the Local Traffic Specialist in your area prior to beginning work and when work is complete for a final inspection.
  • If a surety deposit or performance bond is required, they will be refunded or released three to four weeks after MoDOT has inspected and accepted the work