Motor Carrier Services


Visit our Motor Carrier Resources  page to find the Missouri Trucking Guide, applications and other tools to make the job easier. 


MoDOT Motor Carrier Service's Safety & Compliance section encourages compliance with Missouri State Statutes and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations through education and enforcement.


Motor carriers who are based in Missouri obtain apportioned license plates, a fuel tax license, complete Unified Carrier Registration and obtain other credentials from MoDOT Motor Carrier Services. Most of the programs are renewed annually and most require some form of recordkeeping. See the individual program pages to learn more. 


Motor carriers who operate only within Missouri's borders obtain operating authority, special licensing to haul houses, household goods, waste products and other credentials from MoDOT Motor Carrier Services. Most of the programs are renewed annually and several require some form of recordkeeping. See the individual program pages to learn more. 


Motor carriers that haul loads that are heavier, wider, taller or longer than standard legal limits must apply for a special permit. These permits prescribe specific routes and requirements the carrier must follow when using the Missouri state highway system. 

logo image says stop human trafficking together. Bears a toll free number to be used to report suspected trafficking  - toll free - 1-844-487-0492


Human trafficking is a modern-day form of slavery. At its core, it involves the exchanges of goods for services using force, fraud or coercion. Victims are forced into labor or commercial sexual exploitation.

Human trafficking is real and it is a crime.

MoDOT has joined with other state DOTs and the U.S. Department of Transportation to help fight human trafficking.

Resources to Fight Human Trafficking


7:30 am to 4 pm - Monday - Friday
Full walk-in service from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. with document drop-off available after 3 p.m.

MoDOT Carrier Express, our online system, is open 24/7. 

Fax Numbers

Oversized Overweight Permits
(573) 751-7408

IRP License Plates/IFTA Fuel Tax
(573) 751-0916

Missouri Intrastate Operating Authority
(573) 522-6708

Safety and Compliance
(573) 522-4260


Payment in the form of eChecks, credit or debit card can be made online, by phone and in person.


Transaction fee: 50 cents

Funds are withdrawn quickly, often the same day

Credit/Debit Cards

Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express accepted.

Fees are based on the transaction total. 

Transaction Amount Convenience Fee
 Up to $50  $1.25
 $50.01 - $75  $1.75
$75.01 - $100  $2.15
$100.01+  2.15% of the invoiced amount

Convenience fees are paid to the payment processing company. 

For your security, enter card/eCheck information on the payment screen only. Do not type payment information in any comment or note field or write it on a fax. If you prefer to make payments by phone, enter a note with the name and phone number of the person we should contact for payment information.  

MoDOT Motor Carrier Services cannot accept cash. 


Are you aware of a Missouri-based motor carrier that has violated a safety or operating authority regulation?

We take all complaints seriously, however we caution that knowingly providing false information may have legal consequences.

In order to investigate, we must have all of the following information: 

  • The name, address and phone number of the carrier in question.
  • Your name, address and phone number.
  • A written statement of the situation.
    • The complaint must be based on facts, not speculation
    • The violation of motor carrier safety regulations must have already occurred
    • Provide as much detail as possible, including how you learned of the violation and the date(s) of the violation

If you are prepared with all of this information, please click here to continue.

Complaints regarding motor carriers who operate across state lines are investigated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.