Beginning in January 2018, MoDOT initiated an comprehensive review of our management processes and incentive structures used to deliver transportation infrastructure efficiently and safely. Using a series of employee focus groups and management consultation, MoDOT has committed to deliver 11 strategic initiatives in the coming 24 months and these strategies appear on the MoDOT Strategic Initiatives placemat.
Where we are going
MoDOT’s core values remain safety, service and stability. The department will promote and provide for the safe operation of a 21st century transportation system in Missouri while also keeping MoDOT employees safe in the field.
In doing so, we will pursue approaches to program delivery and project management that deliver the best possible value to Missouri taxpayers and use existing resources wisely.
Finally, MoDOT’s commitment to stability indicates not only a pledge to preserve the current highway system in the best condition possible, but also to maintain an engaged and motivated workforce. To these ends, MoDOT has identified 11 initiatives targeting strategic transformation in these areas.
Those initiatives—upon which we will elaborate in the following pages—consist of:
Commit to Safety
- Improve safety culture
- Use innovation to improve work zone and system-wide safety
- Improve partnerships with other agencies and leverage private sector
Commit to Service
- Improve communications
- Improve project management and system management tools
- Develop innovative program delivery
- Implement fleet and facilities optimization strategy
Commit to Stability
- Increase employee engagement and recognition
- Research and deploy alternative funding solutions
- Leverage innovations to reduce costs and improve service quality
- Develop cost share program with local governments