"Litterbugs" can be found among people of every age, sex, race and ethnic origin, at every level of society and in all geographic locations.
- Litter threatens the quality of our environment and is a problem that affects everyone in the community.
- Litter costs money. In 2017, litter cleanup cost the Missouri Department of Transportation $6.8 million.
- Litter destroys the beauty of the community. Tourism is important to Missouri and its economy. Litter can give a poor impression to visitors.
- Litter is a safety hazard and can act as a breeding ground for fire and disease.
- Litter can impact insurance rates as accidents can result from litter debris.
- Litter can discourage the opportunity for economic development and impacts real estate values. Businesses will not locate in a community that appears blighted based on the amount of trash and where the community lacks in pride to effectively control litter problems.