This program allows memorial markers to be placed along state-maintained roadways for any victim killed on a state highway as a result of a vehicular accident caused by an impaired driver. MoDOT’s Highway Safety and Traffic Division review the applications and its supporting documentation for approval. A marker may not be installed in memory of an individual who themselves were impaired.
Memorial Designation Map
Check our online map for availability of open roadways ready for designating.
To search for a specific route, click here.
- Application, participation fee and supporting documentation must be submitted together.
- MoDOT reviews and approves the application.
- Falsifying information on an application will void the request and result in loss of fees and sign installation.
- If application is not approved, 100 percent of the payment is refunded.
- Memorial Name –
- Proposed name is first, middle and last name initials only.
- The date the crash occurred will be displayed next to the honoree’s initials.
- Sign Information –
- One marker will be installed for a given victim of an impaired driver close to the location where the accident occurred.
- If multiple victims, two markers may be installed on the post at the discretion of MoDOT.
- Each memorial marker requires an application and participation fee.
- The marker will be placed to the right side of the roadway, in the direction of travel, parallel to the roadway.
- MoDOT determines the sign location to ensure safe operation of the highway system.
- Each sign will have a white legend on a blue background
- Allow 9 to 12 weeks for marker fabrication and installation.
- A photo image of the installed sign will be provided electronically to the applicant’s email, if provided to MoDOT’s Highway Safety and Traffic Division
- Signs remain in place for 10 years and may be renewed for an additional 10 years
- At 9 years, a second application and application fee is required to renew the memorial.
- Participation Fee –
- One Marker is $600.00 and is due with submission of application.
- Payment is made by private donations, from organizations or by family members.
- Fee covers cost of constructing, installing and maintaining the marker.
- Payment made payable to MoDOT’s Account: Director of Revenue – Credit State Road Fund.
- Verify roadway availability, click here or contact MoDOT’s Highway Safety & Traffic Division at (573) 751-7643.
- Copy of MO Law Enforcement’s Report or other supporting documentation signifying one of the vehicle operators involved in the crash was impaired.
- Written consent from the honoree’s immediate family authorizing the designation, if designating after a victim.
An alternative to the Drunk Driving Victim (David’s Law) program, families or individuals requesting may consider joining the Adopt-A-Highway program by adopting a section of roadside. The benefits of joining the Adopt-A-Highway program, the family receives two signs at no cost. To learn more the Adopt-A-Highway program, click here.