PROJECT DETAILS & GOALS
MoDOT Kansas City is in the process of replacing the Prospect Ave. Bridge over Interstate 70. This bridge is considered in poor condition and is nearing the end of its service life. This project also includes improvements to the interchange ramps and 14th Street. Additionally, this project will honor the commitments of the Second Tier I-70 Environmental Impact Statement.
- Replace bridge in an economical manner while increasing vertical clearance over I-70.
- Maintain traffic flow on I-70 and viable detour routes of Prospect during construction.
- Coordinate with the future I-70 Corridor project.
- Minimize ROW impacts.
- Improve safety and operations of Prospect with I-70 and local roads.
- Accommodate KCMO long-term corridor plans and KCATA Prospect MAX route.
- Incorporate pedestrian and non-motorized user facilities.
- Communicate with local community and obtain stakeholder support for project.
TIMELINE & COST
Construction began in summer 2023 and should take approximately 5-6 months. The project was on April 21, 2023, and was awarded to Radmacher Brothers Excavating Co., Inc. The cost of construction is estimated at $7.3 million and is part of MoDOT's Statewide Transportation Improvement Plan.
The Prospect Ave. Bridge over I-70 will be CLOSED to through traffic during construction. Chestnut Ave. will be used as a local detour. Busses will be re-routed and the ramps will be closed to traffic as needed. More details on traffic impacts are announced as work progresses.
Public Information Meeting - March 29, 2022
MoDOT Kansas City hosted a public information meeting regarding this project from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday, March 29 in the conference room at the KCMO Police East Patrol Campus located at 2640 Prospect Ave. in Kansas City, MO. Thank you to all who attended and offered feedback.
Online comments were accepted beginning on Tuesday, March 29, through Thursday, April 14 via the webform below. This form is now closed.
Need More Information?
We're here to help. If you need additional information, you may contact MoDOT Kansas City Area Engineer Jill Bruss or Project Manager Allan Ludiker.
Project Press Releases
JACKSON COUNTY – MoDOT is in the process of replacing the Prospect Ave. bridge over Interstate 70. This work will require the complete closure of the following ramps:
- NEW scheduled closure: The on and off ramps from Prospect Ave. to eastbound I...
JACKSON COUNTY – MoDOT is in the process of replacing the Prospect Ave. bridge over Interstate 70. This work will require the following traffic changes the week of July 17-21. This bridge has reached the end of its service life necessitating...
JACKSON COUNTY – MoDOT Kansas City will be hosting a public information meeting regarding an upcoming bridge replacement project involving the Prospect Ave. bridge over Interstate 70. The meeting will be from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday, March...