MoDOT plans to replace the U.S. 50 bridges over Chipman Rd. in Lee's Summit MO as they have reached the end of their functional lives. The new bridges will provide for reliable service for U.S. 50 and Chipman Rd. traffic. In addition, sidewalks will be provided on both sides of Chipman Rd. through the interchange providing new critical connections for pedestrians. This bridge is included in Gov. Mike Parson’s $351 million Focus on Bridges program, which will repair or replace 250 bridges across the state.
There will be various intermittent lane closures along U.S. 50 throughout the duration of the project but motorists using U.S. 50 will experience little delay as the project progresses. During construction, U.S. 50 traffic will be routed around the work area using the existing entrance and exit ramps. Two lanes of U.S. 50 will be provided during the bridge construction.
Motorists along Chipman Rd. will experience significant impacts during construction. Chipman Rd. will be closed in order to allow the bridges to be constructed in the shortest time possible. Detours will be provided to guide motorists during construction.
TIMELINE AND COSTS
MoDOT has awarded this project to Pyramid Contractors, Inc. for $5,861,477.94. Construction is currently scheduled to begin in Spring 2022 with an anticipated completion date of winter 2022-2023.
Phase 2 of construction will require a five month closure of Chipman Rd. within project limits. This phase is expected to take place in Spring and Summer of 2022. Phase 3 of construction will have intermittent ramp impacts as well as Chipman Rd. impacts for approximately four months after Chipman Rd. is open to traffic.
This project is estimated to cost to cost $5.6 million and is funded though MoDOT’s Statewide Transportation Improvement Program. It also includes a combination of funds from Governor Parson’s Focus on Bridges program, state, and federal funds.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is MoDOT doing this project?
- The U.S. 50 bridges over Chipman Road need to be replaced. They are showing significant deterioration and are reaching the end of their usable life.
- Did you consider maintaining two lanes of U.S. 50 traffic with phased bridge construction?
- The conceptual phase of this project included evaluating multiple construction phasing options.
- Why was the closure of Chipman Rd. selected as the preferred option?
- This option had the shortest overall construction timeline and least impact to U.S. 50 traffic. Construction cost for this option also fit within the project budget.
- Were traffic delays considered?
- Traffic impacts during construction were modeled for all phasing options.
- Is the City of Lee’s Summit partially funding the project?
- This project is funded through MoDOT’s Statewide Transportation Improvement Program. At this time, Lee’s Summit is not a financial contributor for this project. The City of Lee’s Summit would fund any additional improvements that are outside the scope of this project, including any potential aesthetics.
- Will the vertical clearance under the bridge be improved?
- Yes. The replacement bridges will follow current MoDOT guidelines for vertical clearance.
- Are pedestrian improvements included in this project?
- Yes. A 10’ shared-use-path will be added along the north side of Chipman Road and a 5’ sidewalk will be added along the south side of Chipman Road within the project limits. These pedestrian facilities will tie into the existing shared-use-paths and sidewalks in this area.
- Why are new lanes not being added to Chipman Road?
- Traffic modeling shows that improving signal operations throughout this interchange will improve traffic flow.
- Why are new lanes not being added to U.S. 50?
- The existing traffic counts do not warrant a need for additional lanes on US-50. The new bridges will accommodate future widening of U.S. 50 for 3 lanes each direction.
- Is MoDOT planning on doing any maintenance to the existing bridges prior to this construction?
- Routine maintenance will continue as needed until this project begins.
Online Public Meeting
The online public meeting for the planned bridge replacement project of the U.S. 50 bridges over Chipman Rd. in Lee’s Summit has ended. MoDOT accepted public comments between Wednesday, Oct. 21, and Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020. We appreciate the input that was received and thank you to all who participated.
Need More Information?
We're here to help. If you need additional information, you may contact MoDOT Kansas City Area Engineer Matt Killion or Project Manager Allan Ludiker.
JACKSON COUNTY– The Missouri Department of Transportation will be accepting public comments beginning on Wednesday, Oct. 21, for the planned bridge replacement project of the U.S. 50 bridges over Chipman Rd. in Lee’s Summit. The comment period will...