As of September 2022, MoDOT has replaced the U.S. 50 bridges over Chipman Rd. in Lee's Summit MO as they had reached the end of their functional lives. The new bridges will provide for reliable service for U.S. 50 and Chipman Rd. traffic. In addition, sidewalks will be provided on both sides of Chipman Rd. through the interchange providing new critical connections for pedestrians.
This bridge is included in Gov. Mike Parson’s $351 million Focus on Bridges program, which will repair or replace 250 bridges across the state.
TIMELINE AND COSTS
MoDOT awarded this project to Pyramid Contractors, Inc. Construction began in April 2022 and was completed in September 2022. Originally, the anticipated total completion date was winter 2022-2023.
This project cost $5.6 million and is funded though MoDOT’s Statewide Transportation Improvement Program. It also includes a combination of funds from Governor Parson’s Focus on Bridges program, state, and federal funds.
Crews completed this project in September of 2022. Motorists may see occasional lane closures in the area for landscaping work.
Need More Information?
We're here to help. If you need additional information, you may contact MoDOT Kansas City Area Engineer Ericka Ross or Project Manager Allan Ludiker.
JACKSON COUNTY – Crews will be completing landscaping work and pavement work along portions of U.S. Route 50 and Chipman Road in Lee’s Summit beginning on Thursday, Sept. 29. Motorists are advised to plan ahead and consider alternate routes if...
JACKSON COUNTY – Crews have re-opened Chipman Road between Murray Road and Blue Pkwy. in Lee’s Summit as of Friday, Sept. 23. This portion of Chipman Road had been closed for several months as part of the replacement of the U.S. Route 50 bridges. Ori...
JACKSON COUNTY – Crews will be completing asphalt paving that will require the CLOSURE of both the westbound and eastbound U.S. Route 50 off ramps to Chipman Rd. beginning at 6 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 16, until approximately 7 p.m. the same evening...
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is MoDOT doing this project?
- The U.S. 50 bridges over Chipman Road need to be replaced. They are showing significant deterioration and are reaching the end of their usable life.
- Did you consider maintaining two lanes of U.S. 50 traffic with phased bridge construction?
- The conceptual phase of this project included evaluating multiple construction phasing options.
- Why was the closure of Chipman Rd. selected as the preferred option?
- This option had the shortest overall construction timeline and least impact to U.S. 50 traffic. Construction cost for this option also fit within the project budget.
- Were traffic delays considered?
- Traffic impacts during construction were modeled for all phasing options.
- Is the City of Lee’s Summit partially funding the project?
- This project is funded through MoDOT’s Statewide Transportation Improvement Program. At this time, Lee’s Summit is not a financial contributor for this project. The City of Lee’s Summit would fund any additional improvements that are outside the scope of this project, including any potential aesthetics.
- Will the vertical clearance under the bridge be improved?
- Yes. The replacement bridges will follow current MoDOT guidelines for vertical clearance.
- Are pedestrian improvements included in this project?
- Yes. A 10’ shared-use-path will be added along the north side of Chipman Road and a 5’ sidewalk will be added along the south side of Chipman Road within the project limits. These pedestrian facilities will tie into the existing shared-use-paths and sidewalks in this area.
- Why are new lanes not being added to Chipman Road?
- Traffic modeling shows that improving signal operations throughout this interchange will improve traffic flow.
- Why are new lanes not being added to U.S. 50?
- The existing traffic counts do not warrant a need for additional lanes on US-50. The new bridges will accommodate future widening of U.S. 50 for 3 lanes each direction.
- Is MoDOT planning on doing any maintenance to the existing bridges prior to this construction?
- Routine maintenance will continue as needed until this project begins.
Online Public Meeting
The online public meeting for the planned bridge replacement project of the U.S. 50 bridges over Chipman Rd. in Lee’s Summit has ended. MoDOT accepted public comments between Wednesday, Oct. 21, and Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020. We appreciate the input that was received and thank you to all who participated.