PROJECT DETAILS & GOALS
MoDOT Kansas City will be replacing the U.S. 24 bridge over Delaware St. in Independence, MO. This project will begin construction in fall 2019. This bridge is just south of the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum which will be closed at the same time of the project for renovations.
The goals of this project include:
- Replacing the structure economically.
- Minimize traffic impacts along U.S. 24.
- Provide context-sensitive aesthetic enhancements.
- Stay within the existing right of way footprint.
Why is MoDOT doing this project?
The U.S. 24 bridge over Delaware is reaching the end of its usable life necessitating the need for replacement.
How will this impact traffic during construction?
Crews will demolish the entire bridge and re-route traffic over the ramps on each side. Delaware St. below the bridge will be closed throughout the course of construction allowing traffic to continue to flow.
Detours will be in place for the closure of Delaware St. below the bridge.
- Motorists headed eastbound on U.S. 24 needing to access Delaware St. are advised to turn right onto River Blvd., make a left on College St., take a right on Bess Truman Blvd., go through the roundabout to College St., take a Left on Liberty St. continuing until Mechanic Ave., and finally taking a left onto Delaware St.
- Motorists headed westbound on U.S. 24 needing to access Delaware St. are advise to turn left onto Liberty St., a right onto College St., and to go throughout the roundabout to Bess Truman Blvd., turn left onto College St., to access Delaware St.
What is the timeline of the project?
This project will begin construction in fall 2019 and is anticipated to be completed in late spring 2020.
How much will this project cost?
This project costs $2.7 million.
Current Press Releases
JACKSON COUNTY – As part of the bridge construction work along U.S. 24 over Delaware St. in Independence, MO, MoDOT Kansas City will be closing a portion Delaware St. from approximately St. Charles Street to N. Bess Truman Parkway. This closure will...
JACKSON COUNTY –MoDOT Kansas City will be closing both eastbound and westbound U.S. 24 Highway over Delaware St. in Independence, MO beginning on Monday, Sept. 30 until approximately early June 2020. This closure is for a total bridge replacement of...