JACKSON COUNTY– The Missouri Department of Transportation will have various ramp and lanes closures this week in preparation for new ramp openings at I-435 and I-70. Upon completion of this work, crews plan to OPEN the new southbound I-435 ramp to eastbound I-70. This is the second ramp to open of the new partial turbine interchange at I-435 and I-70. This is the first interchange of its kind in the Kansas City region. This design replaces the previous and less traditional left side exit ramps and will help improve safety and provide congestion relief at the interchange. All work and openings are weather permitting.
Monday, Aug. 3
- The ramp from southbound I-435 to westbound I-70 and to U.S. 40 will be CLOSED for pavement marking work OVERNIGHT on Monday, Aug. 3, from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning.
- Upon completion of the pavement marking work (sometime early morning Tuesday, Aug. 4), the NEW ramp from southbound I-435 to both eastbound and westbound I-70 will be OPEN.
- Motorists traveling southbound on I-435 will be able to exit right to merge onto either direction of I-70.
- Westbound traffic will continue straight onto westbound I-70.
- Eastbound traffic will loop around the partial turbine design to merge onto eastbound I-70.
- Motorists will also be able to exit from eastbound I-70 to Blue Ridge Cutoff.
Tuesday, Aug. 4 through Thursday, Aug. 6
- A lane of eastbound I-70 will be closed at I-435 for bridge construction from 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 4, to 3 p.m. the following afternoon.
- A lane of eastbound I-70 will be closed at I-435 for bridge construction OVERNIGHT from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following mornings on both Wednesday, Aug. 5, and Thursday, Aug. 6.
Construction is still in progress for the I-70 loop ramps and the northbound I-435 bridges over I-70. This project began construction in spring 2019 and while the majority of construction is scheduled to be completed by this fall, motorists can expect to see various lane closures in the area through Dec. 2020. Project improvements include full bridge replacements, removal of left exits, improvements to loop ramp configuration, and congestion relief. For more information about this project, visit our website.
Please be patient and considerate to your fellow motorists. Use the zipper merge and take turns at merge points. Please remember that all work zones are NO PHONE ZONES. Buckle up. Phone down. Arrive Alive.
For potential impacts to traffic, please review KC Scout cameras at http://www.kcscout.net or consult our real-time traffic partner, WAZE.
Motorists are reminded to slow down and pay attention while driving in work zones. Not all work zones look alike. Work zones can be moving operations, such as striping, patching or mowing. They can also be short term, temporary lane closures to make quick repairs or remove debris from the roadway.
For more information about MoDOT news, projects or events, please visit our website at www.modot.mo.gov/kansascity. For instant updates, follow MoDOT_KC on Twitter, or share posts and comments on our Facebook at www.facebook.com/MoDOT.KansasCity. MoDOT Kansas City maintains more than 7,000 miles of state roadway in nine counties. Sign up online for work zone updates or call 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636).