The eastbound I-70 loop to northbound I-435 has been closed until Dec. 2020.
MoDOT officially kicked off construction on March 7
This project was awarded to Emery Sapp and Sons. Construction will begin in Spring, 2019.
WHAT'S THE STORY?
MoDOT is replacing the bridges within the I-435 and I-70 Interchange. This new configuration will be a partial turbine and provides an opportunity to make additional safety improvements in a cost-effective manner. Improvements include full bridge replacements, removal of left exits, improvements to loop ramp configuration, and congestion relief.
This project was identified as one of the possible improvements to ease congestion and crashes often caused by merging and weaving in the I-70 Environmental Impact Study.
Emery Sapp and Sons is the main contractor on this project and construction will begin in March 2019 and is scheduled to be completed by December 2020. This is a $47 million project and is fully funded by MoDOT.
Information as of 3/18/2019:
MoDOT Kansas City began construction work at the Interstate 435 and I-70 interchange on Thursday, March 7.
- Monday, March 18
- Crews will have various single lane closures along northbound I-435 at Stadium Drive from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. the following morning. This will impact morning rush hour.
- Beginning at 8 p.m., crews will CLOSE the westbound I-70 loop ramp to southbound I-435 until approximately December 2020.
- The signed detour will use westbound I-70 to Manchester to turn around on eastbound I-70 to southbound I-435.
- Beginning at 8 p.m. until approximately 5 a.m. the following morning, there will be a double lane closure along westbound I-70 from Stadium Drive to Manchester Trafficway.
- Tuesday, March 19
- Crews will have various single lane closures along southbound I-435 near U.S. Highway 40 beginning at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19 until approximately 8 p.m. the following evening. This will impact morning and evening rush hours. This work was originally scheduled for Monday, March 18 but has been rescheduled due to inclement weather.
IMPACTS TO TRAFFIC
Construction officially kicks off in spring 2019 and will take two full construction seasons to complete. Motorists can expect to see significant ramp closures and lane width reductions. Beginning March 2019, crews will close the following ramps until December 2020:
- Westbound I-70 loop ramp to southbound I-435.
- Eastbound I-70 loop ramp to northbound I-435.
- The signed detour will use US 40 starting near 31st Street to northbound I-435.
- On-ramp from Manchester to westbound I-70.
- I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Manchester.
Throughout the project, the larger impacts will affect traffic along:
- Northbound I-435 to westbound I-70.
- Southbound I-435 to eastbound I-70.
- Blue Ridge Cutoff