A project to rehabilitate the Caldwell County Route 13 bridge over U.S. Route 36 was part of MoDOT's Oct. 2022 letting for contractor bidding.
A $2,038,133.61 contract to complete the project was awarded to Capital Paving & Construction, LLC. Construction began on May 30, 2023. The project was completed on Aug. 14.
- Replacement of bridge superstructure including the deck and girders supporting it.
- The new superstructure will have a shallower depth beneath the bridge increasing vertical clearance.
- Pedestrian crossing will only be located on the eastside of the bridge. This change includes:
- Updated fencing on the east side.
- Updating pedestrian crossings including adding truncated domes.
- Removal of the existing sidewalk on the west side of Route 13 approaching the bridge.
- Protective painting of bridge girders.
Due to the ongoing resurfacing project on Route 13 from the southern Hamilton City Limits at Mill Creek Road to Route HH in Kingston, traffic wishing to travel south of Hamilton on Route 13 will be directed along a signed detour on U.S. Route 36 to the west, Interstate 35 to the south, and Route 116 to the east to reconnect with Route 13.
Motorists traveling north/south on Route 13 will still be able to use the on/off ramps to access U.S. Route 36 throughout the project.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Will MoDOT close the road during construction?
A: Yes, Caldwell Route 13 will close over the bridge during construction. Motorists will have access to the U.S. Route 36 on/off ramps on either end throughout most of the project. There will be short-term, closures of U.S. Route 36 beneath the bridge for demolition and setting of the new bridge girders.
Q: What is the project timeline?
A: The bridge is expected to reopen in August 2023.
Q: Will MoDOT have to purchase any right of way?
A: No additional right of way needs are expected for this project.
Q: Who can I contact if I have further questions?
A: Questions may be left by calling 888 ASK MODOT (888-275-6636) or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: How can I stay updated on the project's progress?
A: Sign up for project-specific updates at the bottom of the main Caldwell/Daviess County Route 13 Projects page.