JACKSON AND CLAY COUNTIES – Crews with the Buck O’Neil Bridge project will make the following closures and traffic pattern changes, beginning on Wednesday, August 9 through Tuesday, Sept. 19.
This work will cause impacts to traffic and motorists are advised to plan ahead, leave early, or consider alternate routes if possible. There will also be the following traffic changes listed below. All work is weather permitting.
The following closures are scheduled to begin Wednesday, Aug. 9:
Wednesday, Aug. 9 through Sept. 19
- Beginning at approximately 3 p.m. on Aug. 9 crews will CLOSE the ramp from westbound I-70 to 5th street through Sept. 19
- Beginning at approximately 3 p.m. on Aug. 9 crews will CLOSE 5th street from Broadway to Washington through Sept. 19
- Access to 5th street: Motorists can access 5th street by exiting at Delaware street.
- *Note that this is the last exit to be able to access 5th street and Broadway street before entering Kansas.
- Access to the West Bottoms: Motorists can access the West Bottoms by making a right turn on Broadway and use 3rd street, or take a left on Broadway and access from 12th street.
The current Buck O’Neil Memorial Bridge is a triple arch bridge carrying U.S. Route 169 over the Missouri River, and serves as a key regional connection between downtown Kansas City and communities north of the river. While safe, the bridge is nearing the end of its projected service life.
Motorists are reminded to slow down and pay attention while driving in work zones. Not all work zones look alike. Work zones can be moving operations, such as striping, patching or mowing. They can also be short term, temporary lane closures to make quick repairs or remove debris from the roadway.
For more information about MoDOT news, projects or events, please visit our website at www.modot.org/kansascity. For instant updates, follow MoDOT_KC on X, or share posts and comments on our Facebook at www.facebook.com/MoDOT.KansasCity/. MoDOT Kansas City maintains more than 7,000 miles of state roadway in nine counties. Sign up online for workzone updates or call 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636).