Lawrence County – Contractor crews are set to CLOSE the Lawrence County Route V bridge over Williams Creek west of Mt. Vernon for up to 75 days beginning the week of September 12 to rehabilitate the bridge, the Missouri Department of Transportation said.
Crews will demolish the existing bridge deck/driving surface and beams, leaving the piers and foundation in place to be re-used in the new structure. In addition, the contractor will add new barrier walls, object markers at the ends of the bridge, an upgraded drainage system and new permanent striping. The bridge also will be widened by two feet.
This bridge was built in 1960 and is in a deteriorating condition. Approximately 800 vehicles cross the bridge daily.
- All lanes of Route V will be CLOSED over Williams Creek for up to 75 days
- Drivers will have access to driveways and entrances on either end of the bridge, but will not be able to drive through the work zone
- Drivers will be directed to a signed detour using Lawrence County Road 1100, Lawrence County Route OO and Missouri Route 39
- Signs and message boards will alert drivers approaching the work zone
- Drivers should consider alternate routes during the project
- Check MoDOT’s Traveler Information Map for road closings/traffic impacts
Weather and/or construction delays could alter the work schedule.
This work is part of a three-year project to improve 25 bridges within 15 miles of I-44 across the Southwest District. Of the 25 bridges in the project, known as the I-44 Corridor Bridge Bundle, seven (7) are mainline I-44 bridges, five (5) are I-44 overpass bridges and the remaining bridges are on adjacent routes over various features. Sixteen (16) bridges will be replaced and nine (9) bridges will receive major rehabilitation work.
All work in 2022 will be in Lawrence County, where crews will replace five (5) bridges and rehabilitate four (4) others.
More information about this project can be found on the project website – I-44 Corridor Bridge Bundle.
- Prime Contractor – The ESS Team
- Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc. – Columbia
- Parsons Transportation Group, Inc. – St. Louis
- Total Project Cost: $43.2 million
- Contract Completion Date: September 30, 2024
The ESS Team is a partnership of engineering and construction firms that will design and construct the project with oversight by MoDOT and the Federal Highway Administration.
(For more information, call MoDOT in Springfield at 417-895-7600 or visit www.modot.org/southwest)
(Follow MoDOT's Southwest District: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram |YouTube)
(Take the Challenge! Buckle Up/Phone Down)