Lawrence County – Contractor crews returned I-44 east of Mt. Vernon (between Mile Markers 46-47) to its normal traffic pattern – two lanes in each direction, TODAY, Friday, October 23, the Missouri Department of Transportation said.
All lanes of I-44 in the Mt. Vernon area are open and in their normal traffic pattern from now until spring 2021 when work will resume on replacing or rehabilitating the remaining 13 bridges in the project.
Remaining bridges scheduled for replacement or rehabilitation:
- Eastbound and westbound bridges over railroad tracks at Mile Marker 29.2 near Sarcoxie
- Eastbound and westbound bridges over Center Creek at Mile Marker 29.4 near Sarcoxie
- Westbound bridge over railroad tracks at Mile Marker 43.2 west of Mount Vernon
- Westbound bridge over Spring River at Mile Marker 43.4 west of Mount Vernon
- Westbound bridge over Lawrence County Route H at Mile Marker 44.3 in Mount Vernon
- Eastbound and westbound bridges over Goose Creek at Mile Marker 56.1 near Halltown
- Eastbound and westbound bridges over Turnback Creek at Mile Marker 56.7 near Halltown
- Eastbound and westbound bridges over Missouri Route 96 at Mile Marker 58 near Halltown
Weather and/or unforeseen delays will alter the work schedule.
- I-44 Project Bridge Rebuild will replace or rehabilitate a total of 19 bridges on I-44 between Sarcoxie and Halltown
- Some existing bridges are original to the construction of I-44 in the 1960s and are deteriorating and need replacement or rehabilitation
- Project website/sign up for project updates I-44 Project Bridge Rebuild.
- Total project cost: $36 million
- Overall completion date: Dec. 15, 2021
(For more information, call MoDOT in Springfield at 417-895-7600 or visit www.modot.org/southwest)
(Take the Challenge! Buckle Up/Phone Down)