What is the problem?
This bridge rehabilitation project consists of work on 12 bridges along Interstate 70 in St. Charles County. Work will consist of repairing areas of deteriorated concrete, replacing the bridge driving surface, replacing joints and repainting the steel girders. Additionally, once the bridge work is complete, I-70 between Route K and Mid Rivers Mall Drive will be resurfaced, including guardrail upgrades and new pavement markings/striping.
Many of the bridges along the Interstate 70 corridor between Route K and the Spencer Creek in St. Charles County are between 30 and 70 years old and need significant maintenance or reconstruction to ensure that they remain operational and safe to use for the future.
Many of the bridges along the corridor need work, and in this case, it is more efficient to do several of them at a time to minimize the overall impact to commuters and to give the contractor doing the work the ability to efficiently manage the equipment and construction teams needed to complete the project.
Three other bridges on Route 79 near I-70 will consist of lane closures, including the closure of the northbound lanes of the bridge over I-70.
The Bryan Road bridge over I-70 will involve a full closure of the bridge.
Which bridges will undergo rehabilitation?
The list of the bridges includes:
- I-70 at Bryan Road- Full closure of the Bryan Road bridge over I-70. The I-70 ramps will remain open. Through traffic for Bryan Road will be detoured to I-70 to U-turn at Lake St. Louis Blvd. or Route K. Lanes will also be closed on I-70 during off-peak times for repainting the Bryan Road bridge.
- I-70 at K- Three I-70 lanes each direction remain open during the bridge rehab. Lanes will be shifted and narrowed.
- I-70 at Belleau Creek (east of T.R. Hughes Blvd.) – Three I-70 lanes in each direction remains open during the bridge rehab. Lanes will be shifted and narrowed and the Westbound exit only lane for Route K will be closed for the duration of the bridge work.
- I-70 at Route 79- rehab bridge-
One southbound lane will remain open on the bridge. Northbound traffic on Salt Lick Road wishing to proceed north on Route 79 will be detoured to eastbound I-70 to U-turn at Mid Rivers Mall Drive. Lanes will also be closed on I-70 during off-peak times for repainting the Route 79 bridge.
- Route 79 bridges over East Terra Lane & NSRR- One lane in each direction on 79 will remain open. The on ramp to northbound Route 79 will close for a portion of the work. Traffic will be detoured to East Terra Rd. to T.R. Hughes Blvd. to eastbound I-70 to access northbound Route 79.
- I-70 at Dardenne Creek- Four I-70 lanes each direction remain open during the bridge rehab. Lanes will be shifted and narrowed. One lane will be closed each direction during the bridge rehab. Also, for safety, the eastbound I-70 on ramp from Salt Lick Road will have to close during the work at Dardenne Creek. Northbound traffic on Salt Lick Road wishing to proceed east on I-70 will be detoured to westbound I-70 to U-turn at T.R. Hughes Blvd.
- I-70 at Spencer Creek (east of Spencer Road)- Four I-70 lanes remain open eastbound and five lanes will be open westbound during the bridge rehab. Lanes will be shifted and narrowed. One lane will be closed each direction between Mid Rivers Mall Drive and Route 370 during the bridge rehab.
- I-70 North & South Outer Roads at Spencer Creek – One lane each direction will remain open during the bridge rehab. Lanes will be shifted and narrowed.
What will the traffic impacts be?
MoDOT is working to mitigate the impacts to the traveling public as much as possible. I-70 is a major corridor for commercial and recreational traffic. MoDOT is also working in conjunction with our partners, including St. Charles County, and the cities of O’Fallon and St. Peters.
As the project gets closer to beginning, MoDOT will inform the public, the media and our partners the maintenance of traffic and construction impacts, including any full or partial closures of either interstate lanes or lanes on each impacted bridge. Drivers may want to consider alternate routes during the work, as congestion levels are expected to be high during construction due to the lane and ramp closures.
Will this work impact other projects along the I-70 corridor in St. Charles County?
There is potential for some conflicts with on-going projects scheduled during the same time period as the I-70 bridge rehabilitation project. These potential impacts include:
I-70 and Route K project (City of O’Fallon) Website link This project includes the construction of a Texas U-turn ramp under the interchange. This project is expected to be completed prior to the beginning of the MoDOT I-70 bridge rehabilitation project.
ST. CHARLES COUNTY – Drivers traveling in both directions of Interstate 70 in St. Charles County should be aware of increased congestion as crews prepare to close lanes as part of a bridge maintenance project. Crews will be working on eastbound and...