Project Update: 3/5/2021
- Crews will close all eastbound and westbound lanes of 56th St. underneath I-29 between Roanridge Rd. and Prairie Vied Rd. from 8:00 p.m. Monday, March 15 until Wednesday, Nov. 17 for bridge work
- Crews will close the I-29 ramp northbound to 56th St./Roanridge Rd. from 8:00 p.m. Monday, March 15 until 6:00 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 17 for bridge work
- Crews will reduce northbound and southbound I-29 at the 56th St. Bridge to two lanes from 8:00 p.m. Monday, March 15 until 6:00 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 17 for bridge work
- Crews will close the NW Gateway (Route A) Ramp to I-29 northbound from 8:00 p.m. Monday, March 15 until 6:00 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 17 for bridge work
- Crews will close the I-635 northbound ramp to I-29 northbound from 8:00 p.m. Monday, March 15 until 6:00 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 17 for bridge work
Motorists are encouraged to look for posted detour routes while this project is underway. There are multiple interstate detours available. For southbound I-29 traffic, motorists can take eastbound 152, to southbound 169, and back to I-29.
Project Update: 4/1/2021: Phase 2 of the project will begin 4/3/2021 and will continue until 6/31/2021. Phase 2 consist of maintaining northbound traffic in the northbound lanes and the southbound traffic shifting over to the northbound lanes.
Project Update: 3/5/2021:
Please note that the Waukomis Drive Bridge construction will not begin until 2022. Crews will first focus on the I-29 over 56th St. Bridge project.
Project Update: 3/3/2021:
Crews will soon begin construction of the new I-29 over 56th St. Bridge. Look for Message Boards with warning signs that construction is to begin. More complete details on road and ramp closures will come later.
ONLINE PUBLIC MEETING: The Missouri Department of Transportation invites you to take part in an online public information meeting, beginning Monday, Oct. 26, and continuing until Monday, Nov. 9, regarding the replacement of two bridges along the Interstate 29 corridor in Platte County, MO. Please scroll down to the comment form below after reviewing the project information and plans.
Project Goal: MoDOT will be replacing the I-29 Bridge over 56th St. and the Waukomis Drive Bridge in Platte County. The two bridges have reached their projected service life.
This bridge is included in Gov. Mike Parson’s $351 million Focus on Bridges program, which will repair or replace 250 bridges across the state.
How will this project benefit me?
This project will provide two new and safer bridges. It will also add sidewalk/share use path and lighting underneath the bridges. A left turn lane will be added to 56th Street and Waukomis Drive/Rte AA for additional traffic safety.
What is the time line for this project?
Both bridge projects are anticipated to begin in spring of 2021 and expected to be completed by the spring of 2023.
How will this project impact traffic?
In order to minimize impacts on I-29 traffic, some ramps and roads will be closed during different phases. Detours will be in place during construction.
What will this project cost? How will the project be funded?
The construction cost for these two projects is approximately $7 Million dollars and is funded with MoDOT funding.
I-29 & 56th St. Bridge
- Built in 1967
- It is a set of concrete slab twin bridges
- Each slab is 121' long and a roadway width of 52'
- Both bridges have around 55,000 vehicles daily
I-29 & Waukomis Drive Bridge
- This bridge was originally built in 1957 (concrete deck girder bridge)
- It was widened in 1974 (adjacent pre-stressed box girder bridge)
- It is 123' long and has a roadway surface of 138' wide
- This bridge has around 90,000 vehicles daily