Road: Route CC (Old U.S. 66)
Feature Crossed: Niangua Branch
Other Location Information: 3 miles NE of Marshfield, MO
Owner: Missouri Department of Transportation
Type: Pratt Pony Truss
Length: 82' total length
Year Built: 1924
Builder: M.E. Gillioz of Monett, MO
Current Load Rating: N/A
For further information, contact:
Name: Ashley Porter, Intermediate Historic Preservation Specialist
Organization: Missouri Department of Transportation
Address: P. O. Box 270, Jefferson City, MO 65102
Narrative Description and Significance
The Bridge over Niangua Creek (G0719) consists of one 80’ steel, seven (7) panel riveted Pratt pony truss. The truss sits on top of a concrete deck with asphalt driving surface and concrete abutments and wingwalls.
The Bridge over Niangua Creek is a Missouri State Highway Department standard design for a Pratt pony truss from 1924. The bridge was constructed in 1924 on Route 14. Route 14 became U.S. Route 66 in 1926, then Route CC in 1952. The builder of the bridge was M.E. Gillioz. Funding for this portion of the road and the bridge was split equally between Federal Aid and the State Road Fund.
The Bridge over Niangua Creek is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places under criteria A and C in the areas of transportation and the development of Route 66 and as an early example of a standard design and engineering of a Pratt pony truss.
MoDOT’s Historic Preservation Section is now accepting proposals for the relocation and reuse of the bridge or its components until December 31, 2020. A proposal checklist is available MoDOT’s Free Bridges website (http://www.modot.org/freebridges/ ). Preservation covenants may accompany the bridge.