Q: Are funds available as rebates to purchase EVs or convert traditional internal combustion engines?
A: No, NEVI provides funding to states to deploy electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure along public roads.
Q: Isn’t there also a grant program?
A: Yes, the IIJA established a new $2.5 billion discretionary grant program to deploy publicly accessible EV charging infrastructure, hydrogen fueling infrastructure, propane fueling infrastructure, and natural gas fueling infrastructure. There are two components: Corridor Charging Grants and Community Charging Grants. Additional guidance and information on the Corridor and Community Charging Programs will be forthcoming in guidance from FHWA by Nov. 15, 2022.
Q: What about large EV trucks that haul freight?
A: Federal NEVI guidance currently defines EVs to include “passenger cars and light trucks.” Future needs for EV charging stations may consider medium-and heavy-duty EVs as well as shared mobility such as micro-transit and transportation network companies. Additional guidance and information on EV freight will be forthcoming in guidance from FHWA by Nov. 15, 2022.
Q. What are eligible costs under this new program?
A. NEVI Formula funding to use on projects that are directly related to the charging of a vehicle and only for EV charging infrastructure that is open to the public or to authorized commercial motor vehicle operators from more than one company. Charging stations must be on the Alternative Fuels Corridor
- The acquisition or installation of electric vehicle charging infrastructure
- Operating assistance for costs allocable to operating and maintaining electric vehicle charging infrastructure acquired or installed under this program for a period not to exceed 5 years
- The acquisition or installation of traffic control devices located in the righ-of-way to provide directional information to EV charging infrastructure acquired, installed, or operated under this program
- On premises signs to provide information about EV charging infrastructure acquired, installed, or operated under this program
- Mapping and analysis activities to evaluate the locations of current and future electric vehicle activity