MoDOT is working to design a bridge rehabilitation project of the north and southbound I-29 bridges over the Nishnabotna River in Atchison County. The design phase includes right of way acquisition, if needed, and a public input period.
The bridges, built in 1971, will be rehabilitated as part of Gov. Mike Parson's $351 million Focus on Bridges program, which will repair or replace 250 bridges across the state.
The project is currently scheduled to be a part of the February 2021 letting, when contractors may submit competitive bids for the projects.
During the March 2021 meeting, the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission may award the contract.
The Notice to Proceed is the earliest date the contractor may begin work on the project. This project will have a May 2021 Notice to Proceed date, though the contactor may apply for an earlier Notice to Proceed to begin work sooner.
Project construction is currently planned as follows:
- Monday, May 10 – crews will close both north and southbound passing lanes to begin construction of median crossovers. During construction, intermittent lane closures are possible.
- Early June – crossovers will be utilized to direct traffic head-to-head in the southbound lanes of I-29 at the bridges. The replacement of the northbound bridge over the Nishnabotna River will begin.
- Late October - once work on the northbound bridge is complete, construction will stop for the winter season. During this time, traffic will be restored to two-lanes in each direction.
- Late March 2022 – crossovers will be utilized to direct traffic head-to-head in the northbound lanes of I-29 at the bridges. The replacement of the southbound bridge over the Nishnabotna River will begin.
- Early August 2022 – once work on the southbound bridge is complete, traffic will be restored, and removal of the median crossovers will begin. During crossover removal intermittent lane closures are possible.
As part of construction, I-29 traffic will be head-to-head during the project in order to complete the north and southbound bridge rehabilitations. The contractor will have 165 calendar days to complete one direction of the bridge rehabilitation and median crossover construction, and another 165 calendar days to complete the opposite direction bridge rehabilitation and removal of the median crossovers. Due to winter weather conditions, the project will stretch into two construction seasons, with the northbound bridge completed in the fall/winter of 2021 and the southbound beginning in the spring of 2022.
The completion date for the northbound bridge is scheduled for Dec. 1, 2021 with the southbound bridge completion date scheduled for the following year on Dec. 1, 2022.
Project News and Information
St. Joseph, Mo. – Construction will begin next week on two Interstate 29 bridges in Atchison County. Crews from Phillips Hardy, Inc., Working with the Missouri Department of Transportation will be rehabilitating the northbound and southbound I-29...
What is the purpose of the project?
This bridge improvement project will include both the north and southbound I-29 bridges over the Nishnabotna River in Atchison County. The bridges, built in 1971, will be rehabilitated as part of Gov. Mike Parson's $351 million Focus on Bridges program, which will repair or replace 250 bridges across the state.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will MoDOT close I-29 during construction?
A: The contractor should not have to close I-29 during either bridge rehabilitation project. Median crossovers will be constructed and traffic will be head-to-head during the construction of both the north and southbound bridges.
Q: Will MoDOT have to purchase any right of way?
A: Right of way acquisition will not be necessary for these projects.
Q: Who can I contact if I have further questions?
A: Questions about the project may be directed to MoDOT Customer Service at I-888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636)