2019 Northwest Missouri Flooding
Last updated: September 30, 2019
Sept. 30, 2019 - FLASH FLOODING in many areas across Northwest Missouri has closed roadways. Check traveler.modot.org for flash flooding closures in your area.
Sept. 24, 2019 - Route 10 in Carroll County opened again after water receded (interactive map updated).
Sept. 24, 2019 - U.S. Route 59 in Buchanan County closed again due to water over the roadway (interactive map updated).
Sept. 23, 2019 - Route 10 in Carroll County closed again due to water over the roadway (interactive map updated).
Sept. 22, 2019 - US Route 159 and Route 111 closed again due to water over the roadway (interactive map updated). Photo below map of current flooding.
Northwest Missouri Flooding Information, Closures and Detours
FLASH FLOODING ACROSS NORTHWEST MISSOURI - localized flash flooding across Northwest Missouri has added to the long-term road closures due to flooding. To see all flooded roads, visit our Traveler Information Map online.
Missouri River Crossings CLOSED in Northwest Missouri:
- U.S. Route 159 CLOSED from Route 111 at Big Lake to Rulo, NE (includes Missouri River bridge) - CLOSED due to flooding on 9/22/2019
- U.S. Route 136 CLOSED from Rock Port to Brownville, NE (includes Missouri River bridge) - The contractor has worked on filling the areas where pavement washed away and on the bridge ends at the bridge near Phelps City. Paving and additional shoulder work is yet to be done. If no additional flooding impacts the road and the weather allows the contractor to continue work, the roadway could open by the end of October.
- U.S. Route 59 CLOSED in Buchanan County between Route 45 and Atchison, KS (includes Missouri River bridge) - closed due to flooding 9/24/2019
Other major routes in Northwest Missouri:
- Interstate 29 now OPEN north of St. Joseph. Opened June 18 to all traffic.
- U.S. Route 65 now OPEN from Carrollton to Waverly.
State Information Resources:
Northwest Missouri Flooding News
CARROLLTON, Mo. – Missouri Route 10 has reopened after the return of high water across the road briefly closed the road. The Missouri Department of Transportation closed Missouri Route 10 yesterday west of Carrollton between County Road 191 and...
ST. JOSEPH –Buchanan County U.S. Route 59 closed this morning, Tuesday, Sept. 24, from Route 45 at Rushville to Atchison, Kansas due to flooding. Motorists may utilize U.S. Route 36 into Kansas as an alternate route.
For the most up-to-date...
CARROLLTON, Mo. – Due to the return of high water across the road, crews from the Missouri Department of Transportation closed Missouri Route 10 today west of Carrollton. The road is closed until further notice between County Road 191 and County Road...
FORTESCUE, Mo. – After just two weeks of being open, crews from the Missouri Department of Transportation closed both lanes of U.S. Route 159 from Rulo, NE to Route 111 and Route 111 from U.S. Route 159 to Route 118 this evening after floodwaters...