MoDOT has replaced the U.S. 69 Bridges over the Missouri River between Platte County, Mo. and Wyandotte County, Ks. The new US 69 Missouri Bridge is now open.
Why must new bridges be constructed?
The southbound Route 69 Bridge, commonly referred to as the Fairfax Bridge, was built in 1933. The northbound Route 69 Bridge, commonly referred to as the Platte Purchase Bridge, was built in 1957. Both were built to accommodate the type, size, and weight of vehicles at the time of construction, and were not designed for the high volume and heavy weight limits of truck traffic that you typically find today within the heavy industrial zone where these bridges are located. Narrow lanes and load limitations restrict the use of each bridge by overweight and oversized vehicles. Because of their age, both structures require frequent maintenance and costly repairs, causing motorists further delay.
Where will the new bridges be constructed?
The Environmental Assessment for the bridge replacement cleared a specific "footprint," or an area approved by National Environmental Policy Act for construction.
The design-build team of American Bridge/Garver Team used these guidelines to come up with the best possible design given our project goals.
Click the image for a larger copy of the project location.
What are the project goals?
- SCHEDULE -- Open all lanes of traffic no later than Dec. 1, 2016.
- COST -- Deliver a competitively priced project that is both practical and economical.
- DURABILITY -- Construct low maintenance bridge(s) that will provide at least a century of service.
- SAFETY -- Create and sustain an exceptionally safe project work environment.
What is the project schedule?
- November 2013 - Project Environmental Assessment completed.
- January 2014 – Informational meeting for potential design-build proposers held.
- February through June 2014 – Proposal evaluation process.
- July 2014 – Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission awards contract.
- Fall 2014 – Construction begins.
- December 2016 – New lanes open to traffic.
What is the project cost?
The US 69 Missouri River Bridge replacement project is programmed for a total of $79 million. The Kansas Department of Transportation will split the cost of the bridges.
What is the design-build contracting process?
With design-build, the design and construction are completed by the joint consultant/contractor team on an accelerated time frame. This allows the new bridge to be constructed faster than the usual design-bid-build process. It will also allow contractors to incorporate innovative cost-saving ideas that will allow taxpayers to get more for their money, without sacrificing the quality needed for a Missouri River bridge.
For updates follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Or add your name to the project update e-mail list. Questions or comments? Call Project Director Lisa Stupps at 1-888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or submit a comment by e-mail: US69MRB@modot.mo.gov.
It's finished! The celebration took place on Thursday, March 16, 2017, from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the new bridge.