JACKSON COUNTY – Crews will continue the bridge replacement project involving the Interstate 435 bridges over 87th Street next week. The existing bridges, constructed in 1967, are nearing the end of their service lives and need to be replaced. More details about this project can be found here. Construction is anticipated to be completed by Fall 2023. Construction work will require the following traffic changes. All work is weather permitting.
Friday, March 17
- Southbound I-435 will be reduced to ONE LANE at 87th Street for barrier wall placement beginning at 8 p.m. until approximately 5 a.m. the following morning. Motorists should note that once the barrier wall is placed, the left lane of southbound I-435 will remain CLOSED for the duration of the project.
- This was originally scheduled for Thursday, March 16.
Monday, March 20
- DETAILS CHANGED: The left lane of westbound and eastbound 87th Street will be CLOSED under I-435 beginning at 8 a.m. on Monday, March 20, until approximately Tuesday, March 28.
- Beginning on Tuesday, March 28, all lanes of westbound and eastbound 87th Street over I-435 will be CLOSED until approximately September 2023.
- There will be intermittent slowdowns for pavement marking along northbound and southbound I-435 at 87th Street beginning at 11 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- Northbound I-435 will be reduced to ONE LANE at 87th Street for pavement construction beginning at 7 p.m. until approximately 5 a.m. the following morning.
Tuesday, March 21
- Southbound I-435 will be reduced to ONE LANE at 87th Street for pavement construction beginning at 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the following morning.
Friday, March 24
- Southbound I-435 will be reduced to ONE LANE at 87th Street for pavement marking re-configuration beginning at 8 p.m. until approximately 5 a.m. the following morning.
This project involves two construction phases. Phase 1 of the project will move both northbound and southbound I-435 traffic onto the southbound bridge while the northbound bridge is removed and replaced. After construction of the northbound bridge, the project will move into Phase 2 which will move all northbound and southbound traffic onto the northbound I-435 bridge while the southbound bridge is removed and replaced.
Motorists are reminded to slow down and pay attention while driving in work zones. Not all work zones look alike. Work zones can be moving operations, such as striping, patching or mowing. They can also be short term, temporary lane closures to make quick repairs or remove debris from the roadway.
For more information about MoDOT news, projects or events, please visit our website at www.modot.org/kansascity. For instant updates, follow MoDOT_KC on Twitter, or share posts and comments on our Facebook at www.facebook.com/MoDOT.KansasCity/. MoDOT Kansas City maintains more than 7,000 miles of state roadway in nine counties. Sign up online for workzone updates or call 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636).