MoDOT streamlines hay movement for drought relief to Missouri farmers and ranchers

Permit fees and some restrictions waived

JEFFERSON CITY – Severe drought conditions through much of the state have prompted the Missouri Department of Transportation to offer a special overwidth hauling permit to help farmers and ranchers move hay as needed. Loads must be of legal height, length and weight. Permits can be requested online using the MoDOT Carrier Express online service.  In order to have the fee waived, customers can call in when submitting their application or put a comment on the application about the fee waiver to have the agent waive the fee. The blanket permit fee of $64 and single trip fee of $15 will be waived through October 31, 2022.

Before hauling, drivers must apply for the special overwidth hauling permit for loads that exceed 8 feet and 6 inches in width, and map their route to avoid work zones, bridges and other areas that have weight, narrow lane or height restrictions. This information, as well as a special bridge and height restriction view, is available on the MoDOT Traveler Information Map at

MoDOT’s waiver and special overwidth permit allows drivers in Missouri to:

  • Obtain the permit at no cost.
  • Haul hay loads of up to 12 feet and 6 inches in width for blankets.  Haul hay loads up to 14 feet in width for single trip permits.
  • Move hay during holiday periods and at night. At night, or when visibility is less than 500 feet, drivers must use a reflective, oversized load sign and clearance lights instead of the normal flags required at the edges of the load.

Drivers must adhere to all permit requirements, such as using proper signing and lighting and stopping at weigh stations. Drivers should also be advised that most of the southeastern United States is currently under a quarantine zone for imported fire ants, which can be easily spread through the movement of hay. Farmers and ranchers who believe they have received fire ants in a shipment of hay should call their local University of Missouri Extension agent as soon as possible.

To obtain a permit, hay haulers should visit to login to order hay permit(s) or if you are not a regular user of MoDOT Carrier Express to find the link to obtain a Customer ID and password to have access to the MoDOT Carrier Express online. You will need the make, license plate number and vehicle identification number (VIN) of the power unit and provide the farm business name and address.  MoDOT permits cover movement within Missouri only and are required for each truck.  Please call MoDOT’s Motor Carrier Services office at 1-800-877-8499 if you have questions.

Districts Involved