St. Joseph, Mo. – Weather has caused some schedule changes to this week’s previously announced ramp closures as part of the resurfacing project on Interstate 229. The Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission awarded the $5,599,536.83 project to Herzog Contracting Corp., of St. Joseph. The project extends from the U.S. Route 71 intersection in Andrew County to Route 371 (22nd Street) in Buchanan County and is expected to continue through September.
Ramp closures for the week of June 21:
- COMPLETE: Tuesday, June 22: Southbound I-229 to Felix Street ramp (Exit 6A) will be closed two to four hours between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. to allow for paving along I-229.
- COMPLETE: Wednesday, June 23 through Friday, June 25: U.S. Route 59/6th Street ramp to northbound I-229 for guardrail work. This will be an around-the-clock closure beginning June 23 at 7 a.m. and ending by 5 p.m. June 25.
- UPDATE: Friday, June 25 and/or Saturday June 26, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- Southbound I-229 to eastbound U.S. Route 36 ramp (Exit 4B) will be closed up to four hours for paving along I-229
- S. Route 36 ramp to southbound I-229/6th Street will be closed up to eight hours for paving along I-229
- NEW: Saturday, June 26, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- S. Route 59 (St. Joseph Avenue) ramp to southbound I-229 will be closed up to eight hours for paving along I-229
Motorists will need to use an alternate route during the ramp closures.
One lane in each direction of I-229 will remain open during the work and a 10-foot width restriction will be in place for the duration of the project. Crews will work during daylight hours, Monday through Saturday.
All work is weather permitting, and schedules are subject to change. MoDOT asks drivers to work with us by always buckling up, keeping your phone down, slowing down and moving over in work zones. Know before you go and check what work zones you might encounter at traveler.modot.org.
Also at modot.org, sign up online for work zone updates. Information is also available 24/7 at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or via social media.
Take the Challenge! Buckle Up/Phone Down