Jefferson City, Mo. – At the direction of Gov. Mike Parson, the Missouri Department of Transportation today announced an allowance for heavier-than-normal truckloads of supplies and equipment to travel on Missouri highways in the direct effort to prevent, contain, mitigate and treat the effects of the COVID-19 virus. The waiver allows private and for-hire motor carriers to haul up to 10% more than their licensed weight on Missouri highways.
The waiver remains in effect through April 30. While the waiver is in effect, participating motor carriers are limited to:
- A loaded, gross weight no greater than 10% above the gross licensed weight of the commercial motor vehicle;
- Transportation of supplies and equipment, only within the state of Missouri;
- Drivers must obey posted bridge weight limits;
- When crossing a bridge, the driver must restrict the vehicle speed to no more than 30 mph;
- The vehicle tires must be rated to the gross loaded weight of the vehicle or heavier;
- Travel under this allowance is only allowed on state owned non-interstate highways. Those taking advantage of the weight allowance cannot operate on any portion of the interstate highway system.
For more information, call MoDOT at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or visit www.modot.org.
# # #