FAUCETT, Mo. – The planned closure of Interstate 29 for the removal of the bridge over the interstate on Route 116 south of Faucett has been postponed until next weekend due to weather.
Route 116 closed to all traffic this morning, Thursday, Jan. 23, for a bridge replacement project. The closure is planned to continue through May 2020. For the safety of crew members and motorists during the demolition of the old bridge, I-29 will be closed in both directions between Dearborn and Faucett for 24 hours on Jan. 31 and Feb. 1.
This closure will have extreme impacts, both to interstate traffic and along the planned detour route. While MoDOT and the contractor, Clarkson Construction Co., have worked together to make traffic during the closure as safe and efficient as possible, drivers are strongly encouraged to plan ahead and consider an alternate route such as U.S. Route 36 to I-35 during the planned 24-hour closure. Heavy congestion and delays along the detour routes will be significant. Motorists can expect lengthy slowdowns in the area.
There will be several stages to the lane closures and a full closure of I-29 in order to remove the overpass:
- Monday, Jan. 27
- Close the left lane (passing lane), both northbound and southbound, at the bridge for the removal of guardrail.
- 5:30 a.m. to noon
- Friday, Jan. 31
- Close the right, inside lane (driving lane), both northbound and southbound, at the bridge for the removal of guardrail.
- Close both lanes of northbound I-29 at Route H/Z (Platte County, Exit 30 at Dearborn). Traffic will be detoured at Route H/Z.
- Close both lanes of southbound I-29 at Route DD (Buchanan County, Exit 35 at Faucett). Traffic will be detoured at Route DD.
- 5 p.m.
- 10 p.m.:
- Saturday, Feb. 1
- 10 p.m.: Open I-29 to one-lane traffic between Faucett and Dearborn.
- Sunday, Feb. 2
- 5 p.m.: Open all lanes of I-29.
The current, planned signed detour route is along Routes H/Z, 371 and DD. Motorists MUST follow the signed detour or find an alternate route.
During the bridge replacement project, there may be additional single-lane closures on I-29 under the bridge, temporary closures to outer roads, and other traffic impacts. Drivers are urged to stay alert and pay attention to all roadway signing and barricades.
All work is weather-permitting and schedules are subject to change. Please remember that all work zones are NO PHONE zones. Buckle up. Phone down. Arrive Alive. Motorists are reminded to slow down and pay attention while driving in work zones and through the heavy congestion on the detour routes.
For more information about these and other MoDOT projects, sign up online for work zone updates, visit modot.org and view the online Traveler Information Map, or call 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) In addition, MoDOT provides updated information on Twitter @MoDOTNorthwest and Facebook at www.facebook.com/MoDOTNWDistrict.