Road: Route 266
Feature Crossed: Billies Creek
Other Location Information: West of Halltown
Owner: Missouri Department of Transportation
Type: Pratt Pony Truss
Year Built: 1923
Current Load Rating: 25 tons except single unit tandem rear axle trucks 15 tons
For further information, contact
Name: Ashley N. Porter, Intermediate Historic Preservation Specialist
Organization: Missouri Department of Transportation
Address: P. O. Box 270, Jefferson City, MO 65102
The Billies Creek Bridge (G0505) is a 5-panel riveted Pratt pony truss built in 1923. The truss is 57’ in length and 20’ wide. The bridge sits above a concrete deck with asphalt wearing surface and concrete abutments.
Billies Creek Bridge is a standard pony truss plan for the Missouri State Highway Department in 1923. The bridge was constructed by Baker & Koontz from Carthage, Missouri. The bridge was constructed on Route 14. Route 14 became U.S. 66 in 1926 and the Route 266 in 1962.
The bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places under criteria C, as an early example of a standard design and engineering of a pony truss on the Missouri State Highway System.
MoDOT’s Historic Preservation Section is now accepting proposals for the relocation and reuse of the bridge or its components until August 10, 2020. A proposal checklist is available MoDOT’s Free Bridges website (http://www.modot.org/freebridges/). Preservation covenants may accompany the bridge.