Proposed Project Timeline
MoDOT has designed a project to rehabilitate the U.S. Route 59 bridge over Interstate 29 in Andrew County.
The design phase may also include right of way acquisition and a public input period, if necessary for the project.
The project was part of the August 2021 letting. At that time contractors submitted competitive bids for the project.
The Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission reviewed all bids submitted and awarded the project contract to Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc. at their September 2021 meeting.
By contract, Oct. 4, 2021, is the earliest the contractor may begin construction (Notice to Proceed Date).
The contractor intends to close U.S. Route 59 and begin work on Friday, April 1, 2022.
U.S. Route 59 will be closed over I-29, between the interstate entrance and exit ramps. The interstate ramps will remain open, however no traffic will be able to cross the interstate at this interchange during the project.
- Northbound I-29 traffic will be able to exit and access U.S. Route 59 north and east of the interstate, but will not be able to cross I-29 to access Route RA.
- Southbound I-29 traffic will be able to exit and access Route RA but will not be able to cross the interstate to access U.S. Route 59 eastbound towards Savannah.
- Westbound U.S. Route 59 will be able to access northbound I-29 at Exit 65 but will not be able to access southbound I-29 at this interchange.
- Motorists on Route RA will be able to access southbound I-29 but will not be able to cross the interstate to access U.S. Route 59.
By contact, the contractor will have 62 calendar days to complete the project once work has begun. Work at the bridge was scheduled to be complete by the end of May 2022, however weather has pushed that date to early June.
As of 5/26/2022 the contractor plans, weather permitting, to complete guardrail work on Tuesday, May 31 and could reopen the roadway as early as Wednesday, June 1.
Why Rehabilitate the Bridge?
Rehabilitating the bridges driving surface will increase the longevity of the bridge while also providing motorists with a smoother ride.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will MoDOT close the road during construction?
Yes, the roadway will be closed at the bridge during construction.
Will there be a planned detour?
Yes, since traffic will not be permitted to cross the bridge, motorists will need to follow the signed detours listed below:
- Northbound I-29 and westbound U.S. Route 59 traffic wishing to go west on Route RA:
- Proceed north on I-29 to cross over the Holt County U.S. Route 59 interchange (Exit 67/Oregon) and proceed south back to the U.S. Route 59 interchange(Exit 65/Fillmore) to exit onto Route RA.
- Southbound I-29 and eastbound Route RA traffic wishing to go east on U.S. Route 59:
- Proceed south on I-29 to cross over the Route CC/K interchange (Exit 60/Amazonia) and proceed north back to the U.S. Route 59 interchange(Exit 65/Fillmore) to exit onto U.S. Route 59.
Why not build a bypass?
Based on the cost/benefit ratio, building bypasses would not be a prudent use of taxpayer funds. Bypasses also could have negative impacts and disruption to private property.
Will MoDOT need to acquire any right of way?
No, MoDOT will not need to acquire any temporary or permanent right of way for this project.
How long will construction take?
The contractor will have 62 calendar days to complete the bridge rehabilitation per contract.
Who can I contact if I have further questions?
Questions about the project may left be calling 888 ASK MODOT (1-888-275-6636).
How can I stay updated about the project?
Use the form below to sign up for project-specific updates delivered directly to your email inbox.