One Lane of U.S. Route 50/63 Bypass in Jefferson City Closed
One westbound lane of the U.S. Route 50/63 bypass in Jefferson City will be closed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Monday, Oct. 12 through Friday, Oct. 16 for work on the Lafayette Street Interchange project. One lane will be open at all times on the bypass. Workers will be paving one westbound lane of the new Route 50/63 and will be setting the girders on the new westbound Route 50/63 bridge over Lafayette Street. (MORE)
Columbia Bridge Work to Close I-70 at Night
One Lane in Each Direction Will Be Open; Speed Limit Will Be Lowered
Work on the project to replace the Interstate 70 bridges at Rangeline Street, Business Loop 70 and Garth Avenue will close one lane of I-70 in each direction overnight Monday through Friday, Oct. 19-23, and from Monday through Wednesday, Oct. 26-28. The lanes will be closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., but will re-open each day for daytime travel. No lanes will be closed over the Oct. 24-25 weekend.
In addition, the contractor will close the right westbound lane of I-70, also known as the driving lane, from just west of Garth Avenue to just west of Business Loop 70 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Oct. 20 and 21.
The speed limit on I-70 through the work zone will be reduced from 60 mph to 50 mph during the closures. (MORE)
Expected Traffic Impacts Week of Oct. 12
- Periodic northbound and southbound lane closures on Rangeline are expected. Drivers are encouraged to use other routes, such as Providence Road, during this time.
- At Garth Avenue, drivers should be alert to trucks entering and leaving the work site during daytime hours and to occasional flagging operations.
Work at Rangeline
Motorists should expect periodic closures of the right southbound lane of Rangeline Street from Vandiver Drive to the eastbound off ramp to Interstate 70 and of the right northbound lane of Rangeline from the entrance to Boone Electric Cooperative through the intersection of the westbound off ramp to I-70.
One southbound and one northbound lane will be open at all times.
The contractor will be constructing the bridge ends and working on retaining walls for the new westbound I-70 bridge over Rangeline Street.
Work at Garth
Columbia I-70 Bridges Project Website
Lafayette Interchange Project Update
Scheduled Work During the Week of October 12:
The contractor (Emery Sapp and Sons) will be working on the westbound U.S. Route 50/63 Bridge over Lafayette Street and will begin paving the westbound lanes on the new bridge.
Upcoming Traffic Impacts:
One lane of the westbound Route 50/63 bypass will be closed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily from Monday, October 12 through Friday, October 16. One lane will be open at all times on the bypass. Workers will be paving one westbound lane of the new Route 50/63 and will be setting the girders on the new westbound Route 50/63 bridge over Lafayette Street.
Motorists are strongly advised to drive with caution through the work zone. Concrete trucks will enter and exit the roadway on the bypass, and girders will be stored at times in the closed lane.
The bypass is temporarily carrying traffic on Route 50/63 down the new Lafayette Street on and off ramps while the new bridge at Lafayette Street is being built.
Current Traffic Impacts:
- Both westbound lanes of Route 50/63 near Lafayette Street have been opened and traffic is being diverted down the new Lafayette off ramp. Traffic will continue across Lafayette Street, travel up the new Lafayette on ramp and back onto westbound 50/63. Motorists will not have access to Lafayette Street from the bypass. This traffic configuration is anticipated to remain in place until June of 2016.
- Due to the new westbound configuration, the on ramp from Clark Avenue to westbound 50/63 is anticipated to remain closed until June of 2016.
- The eastbound lanes of 50/63 will also be reduced to eleven feet through the work area near Lafayette Street. This alignment is scheduled to remain in place until the end of this year.
- Two lanes will be open in each direction on 50/63 during the work, but traffic may move slower than normal during peak travel times. Motorists are encouraged to seek other routes, if possible. For a map of the new traffic configuration on Route 50/63, please click below:
Route 50/63 Lafayette Traffic Diagram
Two lanes will be open in each direction on 50/63 during the work, but traffic may move slower than normal during peak travel times. Motorists are encouraged to seek other routes, if possible.
- Elm Street is permanently closed from Lafayette Street 500 feet east to Cherry Street and also from just east of Marshall Street to Lafayette Street.
- Pedestrian/Cycling impacts: The east and west sidewalks along Lafayette Street from East Dunklin Street to East Miller Street, and across the Jackson Street Bridge remain closed due to construction. A temporary detour has been laid out on Monroe Street and Chestnut Street Bridge. Pedestrian and bicycle traffic is asked to use this temporary detour. A map of the detour can be found below.
- The Jackson Street bridge is now closed for replacement and will remain closed until completion in the fall of 2016.
Lafayette Interchange Website