MoDOT Closes I-70 At Rte. 94 June 24-26
Crews will remove old Rte. 94 bridge over I-70
ST CHARLES – The Missouri Department of Transportation, with its contractor Fred Weber, will remove the old Route 94 bridge over Interstate 70 June 24-26. The work will require I-70 under Rte. 94 to be closed to traffic while removal work is under way. Eastbound and westbound I-70 traffic will be detoured up and over the entrance and exit ramps at Rte. 94. All work is scheduled weather permitting.
On Thursday, June 23 crews will switch all Rte. 94 traffic onto the new bridge (just west of the old bridge). Eastbound and westbound Rte. 94 will close just east and west of I-70 at approximately 10 p.m. on June 24. Then at approximately 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, June 25 all lanes on eastbound and westbound I-70 under Rte. 94 will be closed while the old bridge is removed. Eastbound and westbound I-70 traffic will be detoured up and over the exit and entrance ramps at Rte. 94. I-70 and Rte. 94 will be closed through approximately 9 a.m. on Sunday, June 26. Eastbound and westbound I-70 traffic wishing to exit at Rte. 94 should use either the Zumbehl or Fifth St. Motorists are encouraged to avoid the area and use alternate routes.
In addition to the highway closure, Rte. 94 east and west of I-70 will also be closed while removal work is under way.
Rte. 94 Detours:
- Westbound Rte. 94 traffic coming from St. Charles City will detour left on Boone's Lick Rd., right on Fairgrounds overpass, right on Veterans Memorial Road (South Outer Rd.), and left onto westbound Rte. 94.
- Westbound Rte. 94 traffic wishing to access westbound I-70 should travel west on West Clay St. through the city of St. Charles to the Zumbehl intersection.
- Westbound Rte. 94 traffic wishing to access eastbound I-70 should travel east (left) onto Boone’s Lick Rd., right on Fifth St., and right onto the eastbound I-70 ramp.
- Eastbound Rte. 94 traffic coming from the Harvester area will detour right on Veterans Memorial Rd. (South Outer Rd.), left on Fairgrounds overpass, left on Boone's Lick Rd., and right onto eastbound Rte. 94.
- Eastbound Rte. 94 traffic wishing to access westbound I-70 should travel west (left) on Veterans Memorial Rd. (South Outer Rd.) and then right on Zumbehl Rd.
- Eastbound Rte. 94 traffic wishing to access eastbound I-70 will still be able to use the entrance ramp at Rte. 94, but should yield the right of way to eastbound I-70 traffic coming up and over the exit/entrance ramps.
Crews are replacing the old Rte. 94 bridge over I-70. The existing bridge is five lanes, very narrow, congested and nearly 50 years old. The new bridge will have six lanes when work is complete in summer 2006. The new bridge will include two through lanes in each direction and one left turn lane in each direction.
The $6.6 million project also included removing the old driving surface on the eastbound I-70 bridge over Fifth St. and replacing it with a brand new concrete surface. Work at Fifth St. was completed in fall 2004.
For more information, contact MoDOT
Area Engineer Jim Gremaud at (636) 240-5277.
Prepared by Senior Community Relations Specialist
Chris Sutton at (314) 340-4160.