WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW?
Work is essentially complete on the project to upgrade Route 40/61 to interstate standards in St. Charles County.
The Prospect bridge and interchange opened at 8 a.m. on October 14, 2009. Officials cut the ribbon and officially opened the road later that morning, when crews removed the last signal on Route 40/61 at Callahan Road.
After Federal Highway Administration approval, Rte. 40/61 will be designated as Interstate 64 from the city of St. Louis to I-70 in St. Charles County.
West of Lake St. Louis Blvd. to I-70
- MoDOT awarded a $23 million contract to Millstone Bangert, Inc, in spring 2007. Work has started on this project.
- Crews have opened the Prospect Road interchange
- This two-mile section includes a new interchange at Prospect Road. View the Prospect Rd. Interchange Map. In order to meet interstate highway standards, MoDOT removed the signals and entrances to improve safety, ease congestion and replace pavement. Commuters heavily use the roadway in their daily travels to home, work, or other activities.
- The traffic signals at Prospect Rd. and Callahan Rd. will be removed as part of the project. All access to the highway will be made through the use of the interchange at Prospect Rd. Prospect Rd.is a diamond interchange consisting of a new bridge over Route 40/61 and entrance and exit ramps for eastbound and westbound traffic on Route 40/61. The roadway on either side of the bridge uses roundabouts instead of traffic signals. New outer roads were constructed both north and south of the highway to provide access to properties served by an entrance to Route 40/61. Access to all local businesses remains.
- This final portion of the upgrading of Rte. 40/61included replacing the pavement, building new eastbound lanes, creating free flowing movement for local traffic with entrance and exit ramps. By separating the local and interstate traffic, the highway will be safer and less congested. Overall, the completed project looks like this: Final phase I-64/40 upgrade.
- Construction is complete.
Other proposed projects that need to be constructed to complete the corridor upgrade (no right-of-way or construction funding has been approved)
Daniel Boone Bridge Study
- Rte. 40/61 new bridge over the Missouri River. A Location and Environmental Study has been completed and approved. The study recommends that a new bridge for eastbound traffic, with a protected bike lane, be built south of the existing bridges. The existing eastbound bridge will be used for westbound traffic. About $3 million dollars has also been identified for further design work. This additional design has begun. No funding has been identified for right-of-way acquisition or construction. No construction start date has been set.
- Estimated cost in 2007 dollars to buy right-of-way, construct a new bridge and roadway, and rehabilitate the existing bridges is about $170 million.
The documents are provided in Acrobat Reader format. Free Acrobat Reader download
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
St. Charles County Area Engineer Jim Gremaud at 1-888 ASK MODOT (275-6636)
Project Manager Barry Bergman at 1-888 ASK MODOT (275-6636)
Community Relations Specialist Andrew Gates at 1-888 ASK MODOT (275-6636)