An aerial view of Route 47 and I-44 North Outer Road in St. Clair where the project will take place.
Why Does Route 47 and I-44 North Outer Road in St. Clair Need Improvement?
- The I-44 interchange at Route 47 is congested, and has an above average crash rate.
- The current configuration cannot accommodate the growth of St. Clair’s future industrial and commercial development.
- I-44 ramps are too closely spaced with the outer roads.
What is the proposed solution?
- Relocate the North Outer Road away from the interchange to improve intersection spacing.
- Signalize Route 47 intersections with the eastbound and westbound I-44 ramps and the relocated North Outer Road.
- Implement access management modifications along Route 47.
Aerial View of the Project Area
What are the benefits?
- Improvements will greatly enhance the safety of the interchange and the efficiency of the traffic flow.
- Additional industrial and commercial opportunities for the City of St. Clair.
How Will Traffic Be Impacted During Construction?
Construction is expected to begin in Summer 2012 and be completed by Summer 2013.
Motorists can expect periodic lane shifts and lane closures on Route 47 and/or the I-44 North Outer Road through the duration of the project. Access to businesses and residences will remain open during construction.
Estimated Project Cost:
This project was awarded to Kolb Grading Company for approximately $3.8 million, and is a cost-share project between MoDOT and the City of St. Clair.
Who Do I Contact For More Information?