I-70 at Fifth Street & Fairgrounds Improvement Project (a project in partnership with the City of St. Charles and St. Charles County)
To sign up to receive project e-updates, click here.
For further questions on the project, please contact MoDOT Resident Engineer John Lewis at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or by email at John.Lewis@modot.mo.gov.
Project Alerts & Updates
(NEW) There will be lane closures this weekend so crews can set girders for the new Fairgrounds Road bridge. Starting at 11 p.m. on Friday, crews will close up to three lanes on eastbound I-70 at Route 94. While crews are moving girders, they will close I-70 for up to 15 minutes for safety until the girder has been set down. All lanes are expected to open by 8 a.m. Saturday. Then starting at 11 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, crews will close up to three lanes on westbound I-70 at Fifth Street with short term closures as they swing the girders across the interstate. Two lanes will also be closed on eastbound I-70. The lanes will reopen by 8 a.m. Sunday.
(NEW) On Monday, July 25 crews will open the new eastbound I-70 exit to Fairgrounds Road. This means the eastbound I-70 exit to Fifth Street will be closed. Motorists wanting to access Fifth Street will exit at Fairgrounds Road and take Veterans Memorial Parkway to Fifth Street.
(NEW) There will be nighttime lane closures on eastbound and westbound I-70 from July 27 to August 1. More information coming soon.
(NEW) Late in the week of August 25, crews are expected to open the new westbound I-70 exit to southbound Fifth Street and close the current loop ramp from westbound I-70 to southbound Fifth Street. The new exit ramp is the same as the westbound I-70 exit to northbound Fifth Street. Drivers wanting to go southbound will have to stop at a signal before being able to make the turn. More information on that will be available once the date is set.
Below is a list of the ongoing closures:
- Fairgrounds Road over I-70 closed until mid-September.
- The left lane on eastbound I-70 between Route 94 and Fifth Street closed through late August.
- The left lane on westbound I-70 between Fifth Street and Route 94 closed through late August.
- The entrance ramp from Fifth Street to westbound I-70 closed through mid-summer. Drivers can access westbound I-70 by taking EITHER eastbound I-70 to northbound Route 141 and then looping back onto westbound I-70 OR by taking Boone’s Lick to Route 94 to westbound I-70.
- Daily lane closures continue on Fifth Street from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Information from previous updates:
- Veterans Memorial Parkway between Fairgrounds Road and Fifth Street is one-way (eastbound only). Drivers coming from Fifth Street should take Boone's Lick Road to Route 94 to Veterans Memorial Parkway to get around.
- The new ramp from southbound Fifth Street to eastbound I-70 is open. Drivers must stop at a traffic signal before turning left onto eastbound I-70. This is temporary until the diverging diamond interchange is complete.
- The new ramp from westbound I-70 to northbound Fifth Street is open.
What will the project include?
- replacement of the Fairgrounds Road overpass
- new sidewalks along Fifth Street, Veterans Memorial Parkway and Fairgrounds Road
- new bike lanes at the Fairgrounds Road overpass
Click here for a full project map.
Why is the project needed?
The project will help improve traffic flow, as well as access to and from Interstate 70 at the very busy Fifth Street interchange. This will improve the overall safety of the area and provide better access to a variety of St. Charles County’s top attractions, including the Ameristar Casino, Historic Main
Street and the St. Charles Convention Center.
***Please Note: this project is not a part of the City of St. Charles' Fifth Street Gateway Project currently under construction between
Bass Pro Drive/Ameristar Boulevard and First Capitol Drive.
What kind of traffic impacts will there be?
The project will require nighttime and weekend lane restrictions, as well as the narrowing of Interstate 70 in both directions. Other impacts will include:
- an around-the-clock lane closure on westbound I-70 between Fifth Street and Route 94 from late March to late May
- an around-the-clock lane closure on westbound I-70 before Fifth Street in early spring
- an around-the clock lane closure on eastbound I-70 in early spring
- a 120-day closure of the Fairgrounds Road bridge in late spring 2016
- a weekend closure of 5th Street in fall 2016
- the closure of the commuter lot at Fairgrounds and I-70 throughout the project. The nearest commuter lot is at I-70 and Zumbehl Road.
Crews will limit impacts on holidays and large scale events, such as the Festival of Little Hills.
Below is a general schedule of when work will begin in each location. Dates are subject to change. Any changes will be update as they become available.
- Westbound I-70 at Route 94 (narrowing and shifting of lanes through May)
- Westbound I-70 ramp to 5th Street
- 5th Street ramp to eastbound I-70
- Veterans Memorial Parkway near Fairgrounds
- Fairgrounds Road south of Veterans Memorial Parkway (signals will be removed and temporary four-way stop will be in place)
- Veterans Memorial Parkway east of Fairgrounds (traffic will be on a temporary by-pass)
- North Outer Road at Fairgrounds (construction of new ramps at I-70 and Fairgrounds)
- Removal of Fairgrounds Road bridge (120-day closure of Fairgrounds between Veterans Memorial Parkway and Booneslick)
- 5th Street ramp to westbound North Outer Road
- Work continues on new Fairgrounds Road bridge
- Eastbound I-70 ramp to 5th Street (exit will be closed/motorists will detour onto the newly opened Fairgrounds Road interchange)use newly opened
- Veterans Memorial Parkway traffic becomes eastbound only
- Work continues at Fairgrounds interchange
- Work continues at Fairgrounds interchange
- 5th Street Diverging Diamond work underway (will require a 36-hour closure of 5th Street to switch traffic)
What is the construction schedule?
The project will begin in March of 2016. Schedule updates will be posted as the become available, but the milestone dates include:
- The 5th Street interchange is expected to be completed by late November 2016.
- All roads are expected to be open by late 2016.
- All construction is expected to be completed by spring 2017.
The schedule is subject to change and is weather dependent.
What is the cost of the project?
The project was awarded to Millstone Weber for approximately $20 million. The cost is being shared between MoDOT, the city of St. Charles, St. Charles County and the federal government. Below is a breakdown of the funding.
Where can I get more information?
For any further questions, please contact MoDOT Resident Engineer John Lewis at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or by email at John.Lewis@modot.mo.gov. To receive e-updates on the project, click here.