I-70 at Fifth Street & Fairgrounds Improvement Project (a project in partnership with the City of St. Charles and St. Charles County)
For further questions on the project, please contact MoDOT Resident Engineer John Lewis at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or by email at John.Lewis@modot.mo.gov.
Project Alerts & Updates
Below is information from previous updates (updated 11/08)
- The new eastbound I-70 exit to Fifth Street is open.
- The newly relocated Veterans Memorial Drive is open. Traffic wanting to access the Time Center Apartments will have do so from Fifth Street from now on. Traffic can still exit out of the Veterans Memorial Parkway exit but can only turn right.
- The Fifth Street ramp to westbound I-70 is open.
- The diverging diamond interchange at Fifth Street and I-70 is now open. For more information on how to drive a diverging diamond interchange, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIypFKBz4YI.
- The new westbound I-70 exit to Fairgrounds Road/Convention Center Drive is open.
- The new Fairgrounds Road/Convention Center Drive ramp to westbound I-70 is open.
- The new Fairgrounds Road/Convention Center Drive overpass is open.
- The new northbound Fifth Street ramp to eastbound I-70 is open.
- The new westbound I-70 exit to Fifth Street is open. The exit is a shared ramp for both northbound and southbound traffic
- The new eastbound I-70 exit to Fairgrounds Road/Convention Center Drive is open.
- The new ramp from southbound Fifth Street to eastbound I-70 is open.
- Veterans Memorial Parkway between Fairgrounds Road and Fifth Street is one-way (eastbound only). This is a permanent change.
To see photos of the ongoing construction, please visit St. Charles County's Flickr page.
What will the project include?
- replacement of the Fairgrounds Road overpass
- new sidewalks along Fifth Street, Veterans Memorial Parkway and Fairgrounds Road
- new bike lanes at the Fairgrounds Road overpass
Click here for a full project map.
Why is the project needed?
The project will help improve traffic flow, as well as access to and from Interstate 70 at the very busy Fifth Street interchange. This will improve the overall safety of the area and provide better access to a variety of St. Charles County’s top attractions, including the Ameristar Casino, Historic Main
Street and the St. Charles Convention Center.
What kind of traffic impacts will there be?
The project will require nighttime and weekend lane restrictions, as well as the narrowing of Interstate 70 in both directions. Other impacts will include:
- an around-the-clock lane closure on westbound I-70 between Fifth Street and Route 94 from late March to late May
- an around-the-clock lane closure on westbound I-70 before Fifth Street in early spring
- an around-the clock lane closure on eastbound I-70 in early spring
- a 120-day closure of the Fairgrounds Road bridge in late spring 2016
- a weekend closure of 5th Street in fall 2016
- the closure of the commuter lot at Fairgrounds and I-70 throughout the project. The nearest commuter lot is at I-70 and Zumbehl Road.
Crews will limit impacts on holidays and large scale events, such as the Festival of Little Hills.
What is the construction schedule?
The project will begin in March of 2016. Schedule updates will be posted as the become available, but the milestone dates include:
- The 5th Street interchange is expected to be completed by late November 2016.
- All roads are expected to be open by late 2016.
- All construction is expected to be completed by spring 2017.
The schedule is subject to change and is weather dependent.
What is the cost of the project?
The project was awarded to Millstone Weber for approximately $20 million. The cost is being shared between MoDOT, the city of St. Charles, St. Charles County and the federal government. Below is a breakdown of the funding.
Where can I get more information?
For any further questions, please contact MoDOT Resident Engineer John Lewis at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or by email at John.Lewis@modot.mo.gov. To receive e-updates on the project, click here.