I-70 at Fifth Street & Fairgrounds Improvement Project (a project in partnership with the City of St. Charles and St. Charles County)
To sign up to receive project e-updates, click here.
For further questions on the project, please contact MoDOT Resident Engineer John Lewis at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or by email at John.Lewis@modot.mo.gov.
Project Alerts & Updates (updated 9/27)
There are no additional lane closures scheduled this week as part of the I-70 and Fifth Street/Fairgrounds Road improvement project.
Here is a little more information on the upcoming two day closure of Fifth Street at I-70. Crews are scheduled to close one lane in each direction of Fifth Street starting on Friday, October 7 to mill the road surface. The lanes will remain closed throughout the weekend. Then on the morning of Monday, October 10 crews will close all lanes of Fifth Street between Ameristar Boulevard/Bass Pro Drive and South Main Street (local traffic only will be allowed up to the residences on South Fifth Street). During the closure there will be no access under I-70 and no access on or off the interstate. Details on the timing of the closure, as well as detour routes will be available early next week.
Below is a list of the ongoing closures:
- The right lane on eastbound I-70 between Zumbehl and Route 94 is closed around the clock through November.
- The right lane on westbound I-70 at Fairgrounds is closed through late October.
- The eastbound I-70 exit to Fifth Street is closed until late November so crews can build the new exit into the diverging diamond interchange at Fifth Street. Drivers wanting to access Fifth Street should exit at Fairgrounds Road, turn right, go around the roundabout and take Veterans Memorial Parkway to Fifth Street.
- Various daily lane closures from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on northbound and southbound Fifth Street between Veterans Memorial Parkway and Ameristar Boulevard.
- The entrance ramp from Fifth Street to westbound I-70 is closed through mid-October. Drivers can detour around the closure by taking EITHER eastbound I-70 to northbound Route 141 and then looping back onto westbound I-70 OR by taking Boone’s Lick to Route 94 to westbound I-70.
Information from previous updates:
- The new Fairgrounds Road overpass is open to traffic. The eastbound I-70 exit to Fairgrounds is also open. Motorists wanting to go northbound on Fairgrounds, must turn right at the signal, go around the roundabout and head back to Fairgrounds. The other Fairgrounds exits and entrance ramp will open at a later date.
- The new northbound Fifth Street ramp to eastbound I-70 is open.
- The new westbound I-70 exit to Fifth Street is open. The exit is a shared ramp for both northbound and southbound traffic. Southbound drivers have to stop at a signal before making the left turn onto Fifth Street.
- The new ramp from southbound Fifth Street to eastbound I-70 is open. Drivers must stop at a traffic signal before turning left onto eastbound I-70. This is temporary until the diverging diamond interchange is complete.
- Veterans Memorial Parkway between Fairgrounds Road and Fifth Street is one-way (eastbound only). This is a permanent change. Drivers coming from Fifth Street should take Boone's Lick Road to Route 94 to Veterans Memorial Parkway to access the area.
To see photos of the ongoing construction, please visit St. Charles County's Flickr page.
What will the project include?
- replacement of the Fairgrounds Road overpass
- new sidewalks along Fifth Street, Veterans Memorial Parkway and Fairgrounds Road
- new bike lanes at the Fairgrounds Road overpass
Click here for a full project map.
Why is the project needed?
The project will help improve traffic flow, as well as access to and from Interstate 70 at the very busy Fifth Street interchange. This will improve the overall safety of the area and provide better access to a variety of St. Charles County’s top attractions, including the Ameristar Casino, Historic Main
Street and the St. Charles Convention Center.
***Please Note: this project is not a part of the City of St. Charles' Fifth Street Gateway Project currently under construction between
Bass Pro Drive/Ameristar Boulevard and First Capitol Drive.
What kind of traffic impacts will there be?
The project will require nighttime and weekend lane restrictions, as well as the narrowing of Interstate 70 in both directions. Other impacts will include:
- an around-the-clock lane closure on westbound I-70 between Fifth Street and Route 94 from late March to late May
- an around-the-clock lane closure on westbound I-70 before Fifth Street in early spring
- an around-the clock lane closure on eastbound I-70 in early spring
- a 120-day closure of the Fairgrounds Road bridge in late spring 2016
- a weekend closure of 5th Street in fall 2016
- the closure of the commuter lot at Fairgrounds and I-70 throughout the project. The nearest commuter lot is at I-70 and Zumbehl Road.
Crews will limit impacts on holidays and large scale events, such as the Festival of Little Hills.
Below is a general schedule of when work will begin in each location. Dates are subject to change. Any changes will be update as they become available.
- Westbound I-70 at Route 94 (narrowing and shifting of lanes through May)
- Westbound I-70 ramp to 5th Street
- 5th Street ramp to eastbound I-70
- Veterans Memorial Parkway near Fairgrounds
- Fairgrounds Road south of Veterans Memorial Parkway (signals will be removed and temporary four-way stop will be in place)
- Veterans Memorial Parkway east of Fairgrounds (traffic will be on a temporary by-pass)
- North Outer Road at Fairgrounds (construction of new ramps at I-70 and Fairgrounds)
- Removal of Fairgrounds Road bridge (120-day closure of Fairgrounds between Veterans Memorial Parkway and Booneslick)
- 5th Street ramp to westbound North Outer Road
- Work continues on new Fairgrounds Road bridge
- Eastbound I-70 ramp to 5th Street (exit will be closed/motorists will detour onto the newly opened Fairgrounds Road interchange)use newly opened
- Veterans Memorial Parkway traffic becomes eastbound only
- Work continues at Fairgrounds interchange
- Work continues at Fairgrounds interchange
- 5th Street Diverging Diamond work underway (will require a 36-hour closure of 5th Street to switch traffic)
What is the construction schedule?
The project will begin in March of 2016. Schedule updates will be posted as the become available, but the milestone dates include:
- The 5th Street interchange is expected to be completed by late November 2016.
- All roads are expected to be open by late 2016.
- All construction is expected to be completed by spring 2017.
The schedule is subject to change and is weather dependent.
What is the cost of the project?
The project was awarded to Millstone Weber for approximately $20 million. The cost is being shared between MoDOT, the city of St. Charles, St. Charles County and the federal government. Below is a breakdown of the funding.
Where can I get more information?
For any further questions, please contact MoDOT Resident Engineer John Lewis at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or by email at John.Lewis@modot.mo.gov. To receive e-updates on the project, click here.