MoDOT added a lane to westbound I-70 between Mid Rivers Mall Drive and Route 79. As a part of this lane addition, MoDOT has completed a sound study to evaluate the noise impacts on adjacent properties. By federal law, we are required to conduct sound studies when we have a project that builds a new roadway, relocates an existing roadway, or adds through lanes to an existing roadway. The decibel levels used in the sound study are based on the future predicted noise levels for I-70.
A public meeting with residents and businesses in the area near the lane addition was held in August 2013.
MoDOT’s noise policy is based on federal guidelines and regulations for determining where and when sound walls can be placed. All MoDOT sound mitigation criteria (listed below) must be met for a sound wall to be constructed. If all the criteria are met, the walls can be funded for construction. Please see the enclosed brochure for more information.
MoDOT’s Noise Policy Criteria:
- The property owner must have an outdoor use area with sound levels projected greater than 66 decibels (dB) or be raised by at least 15 decibels over existing levels.
- The sound wall must provide a minimum 7 decibel reduction in outdoor living space for two-thirds of first-row properties.
- The sound wall cannot be higher than 20 feet for safety.
- The sound wall must be built on state property and meet safety criteria and maintenance needs.
- The majority of benefited property owners and residents must want the wall.
- The sound wall must not cost more than $36,000 per benefited property.
For those who are unable to attend the meeting, we have provided links to the documents presented at the meeting:
Study Area Overview (1 page, 6.09 mb)
Area 1 Map (1 page, 2.47mb)
Area 2 Map (1 page, 1.69 mb)
Area 2 Noise Table (1 page, 163 kb)
Area 3 Map (1 page, 3.42 mb)
Area 3 Noise Table (1 page, 560 kb)
Area 4 and 5 Map (1 page, 12.5 mb)
MoDOT Sound Wall Brochure (2 pages, 174kb)
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
MoDOT St. Charles County Area Engineer Tom Evers at 1-888 ASK MODOT (275-6636)
MoDOT Transportation Project Manager Tim Schroeder at 1-888 ASK MODOT (275-6636)