- Convert to "Diverging Diamond Interchange" to improve traffic flow. Opposing lanes on Chestnut Expressway will criss-cross at existing traffic signals. That will enable vehicles on Chestnut Expressway to make a "free left" turn onto the Route 65 on-ramps.
• New ramp reconfigurations:
– Northbound Route 65 off-ramp will continue to have dual left-turn lanes onto Chestnut Expressway and will still have a traffic signal.
– Southbound Route 65 off-ramp will have dual right-turn lanes onto Chestnut Expressway and will still have a traffic signal.
– Southbound Route 65 on-ramp will have two lanes onto Route 65.
• Signals will be installed and two right-turn lanes built at Chestnut Expressway/Ingram Mill Road intersection.
• Under a separate but related project involving the City of Springfield, Greene County and pri- vate developers, the intersection of Chestnut Expressway and Eastgate Avenue will be relo- cated 575 feet east of the existing intersection.
Construction: No timetable is set for construction. However, work could begin as early as Spring 2009. The schedule depends on developers securing their share of the funds needed.
Cost estimate: $5.5 million, shared by MoDOT, the City of Springfield (1/8-cent sales tax) and Greene County and two private developers.
Traffic Impacts During Construction:
- Expect SLOWDOWNS and DELAYS, especially during busiest travel times
- Lane closings at night
- Entrances to businesses, side streets kept open, though narrowed at times
- Existing Eastgate Avenue access may be limited to right-turns ONLY
For more information, contact our Springfield District Office at 417-895-7600 or
Last updated: September 2008.