Project map (PDF)
Computer animation (from Kansas Expressway/I-44 DDI)
Additional DDI Information
Related News Releases:
Chestnut Exp. Set to Close for 30 Calendar Days
Crews blast for water line installation
Construction: April 2012 through November 2012
Convert Chestnut Expressway/Route 65 to 'Diverging Diamond Interchange'
- Traffic on Chestnut Expressway will be shifted to left-hand side of the road at new traffic signals on either side of Route 65.
- Chestnut Expressway traffic turning left onto Route 65 will have a "free left," without having to turn in front of oncoming traffic
- Chestnut Expressway traffic traveling straight will return to the right-hand side of the road at traffic signal on the other side of Route 65.
- Signs, pavement markings, concrete islands will guide Chestnut Expressway drivers through Diverging Diamond Interchange.
- Will build dual right-turn lanes -- Southbound Route 65-to-Westbound Chestnut Expresway.
- Will build dual left-turn lanes -- Northbound Route 65-to-Westbound Chestnut Expressway.
- Sidewalk built between concrete walls separating eastbound and westbound Chestnut Expressway
- Widen Chestnut Expressway (Farm Road 132) to three lanes for a short distance east of Route 65
Traffic Impacts During Construction
- All lanes of Route 65 and Chestnut Expressway remain open during daytime hours.
- Lanes on Chestnut Expressway closed at various times at night (7 p.m. to 6 a.m.).
- Narrowed driving lanes on Chestnut Expressway and narrowed ramps are possible at times.
- Short-term ramp closings will be needed at times.
- Chestnut Expressway (Farm Road 132) east of Route 65 CLOSED for up to 30 calendar days for widening (exact date to be announced)
- Chestnut Expressway CLOSED over a weekend toward the end of the project for final conversion to Diverging Diamond Interchange.
Cost: $2.6 million
Give us your comments on this project!