Safe and Sound Cape Girardeau County
Route 61 Bridge Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
SIKESTON - A Ribbon Cutting Ceremony was held Tuesday, May 25, at 1 p.m. to celebrate the opening of the new bridge on Route 61 over Buckeye Creek in Cape Girardeau County. The ceremony was held at the bridge location, approximately one mile north of Route E on Highway 61.
• Mr. Tom Schulte on behalf of The Honorable Christopher Bond, United States Senate
• Mr. Darren Lingle on behalf of The Honorable Jo Ann Emerson, United States House of Representatives
• Mr. Don Hillis, Director of Systems Management, Missouri Department of Transportation
• Mr. Troy Heckmaster, KTU Program Manager, MoDOT 554
• MoDOT Southeast District Engineer Mark Shelton
"This is the first design-build bridge project completed in Cape Girardeau County," said Southeast Regional Field Engineer Andy Meyer. "It is also the first bridge in Missouri to use the Super Cor Box structure, which is a prefabricated metal arch structure with concrete retaining walls."
Design-build bridges are those that have been targeted for a total replacement. There are more than 550 bridges statewide included in the design-build contract, including the Route 61 bridge.
For more information on the dedication ceremony, please contact MoDOT's Customer Service Center at 1-888-ASK-MODOT (1-888-275-6636).