- How often should litter be picked up?
- Litter must be picked up a minimum of four times per year. Most urban locations require litter pickup once
or twice per month.
- Who supplies the litter bags and picks up
the filled bags?
- MoDOT does. We also supply safety vests, caution flags,
safety video, safety brochures, and safety tips for working
- What about beautification?
- MoDOT requires a detailed plan outlining
the areas where planting is to be done including the types
of plants. MoDOT personnel will review the plan to determine
if it will enhance the roadside appearance while not creating
a safety hazard.
- How long does my agreement last?
- Adopters sign a three year commitment to the program.
However, the agreement can be terminated at any time.
Each location is reviewed periodically to ensure both
parties are fulfilling their agreement.
- Are there guidelines I need to follow?
- The Missouri Department of Transportation has established
rules and regulations for
the program to ensure safety and consistency in its operation.
All adopters are expected to know and abide by these standards.
How much does in cost to participate in Adopt-A-Highway?
All it costs you is your time. MoDOT provides the signs, safety materials, trash bags and disposal.
How do I get started with Adopt-A-Highway?
Please call MoDOT's toll-free number at 1-888-ASK MODOT (1-888-275-6636) and ask for the Adopt-A-Hi ghway coordinator or
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also check our online map for availability of open sections ready for adopting by clicking HERE.
How do I report my Adopt-A-Highway activity?
Go to https://www6.modot.mo.gov/tms/FeaturesExt/AAH/LitterPickup.aspx and click on 'Adopters'. Begin typing your group's name or type
- your Agreement ID, wait a few seconds until a list is generated. Select your group and it will auto-fill. Complete the rest of the info and click
- on 'Submit and Exit' or ‘Submit and Enter Another’ if you have additional info to report. You’ll get a ‘Thank You’ message if your report was submitted. Change of contact info can also be made here.
Help, I've inherited our group's AAH project.
What do I do?
- You can contact your local
MoDOT office. Then ask for the AAH coordinator and tell
them what you need. Please keep us up to date on your contact
person's name, address, and phone number. You can e-mail
that information to us at email@example.com,
or call us toll free at 1-888-ASK MODOT and ask for the