Before You Travel - Check Current Road Conditions on the MoDOT's Traveler Information Map
(Available as an app for iPhones and Android phones)
Call the MoDOT's Customer Service Center
Staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Call Toll Free 1-888-ASK-MODOT (888-275-6636)
Road Conditions in States bordering Missouri
Share the Road with Snowplows
Don’t go out during a snowstorm if you can avoid it. If you do, buckle up – always!
If you must travel, here are some tips to share the road with snow plows:
Remember a snowplow operator’s field of vision is restricted. You may see them, but they may not see you.
Driving Tips to Stay Safe in Winter Weather
- Signs of ice forming on the road - you will see little to no moisture coming from the tires of vehicles around you or you will not hear moisture coming from your tires even if the road looks wet.
One of the best rules for driving in snow is to take it slow: everything should be done gradually. Remember stopping distance may increase 4 to 10 times on ice/snow covered roads.
- Wet Roads - Reduce speed 1/4 the posted speed limit (Speed limit 55 mph = Reduce to 40-45 mph)
- Snow Covered Roads - Reduce speed 1/2 the posted speed limit (Speed limit 55 mph = Reduce to 25-30 mph
- Ice Covered Roads - Reduce speed 2/3 the posted speed limit (Speed limit 55 mph = Reduce to 20-25 mph)
Drive with your lights on.
- Keep at least 1/2 tank of fuel in the vehicle
- Travel during daylight hours if possible
4-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles do not provide any additional stability on icy surfaces.
- Sometimes it's best to find a safe spot and wait until the roads are clear and treated or the temperature rises
Winterize Your Car and Get Ready for the Hazards of Winter:
Equip Your Vehicle With:
A flashlight with extra batteries
A first-aid kit & necessary medications
Blankets and/or sleeping bags
Extra warm clothing and rain gear
A small sack of sand to use for traction under your wheels
- Small shovel
Small tools - pliers, wrench, screwdriver
Learn more about MoDOT's winter operations by following the links below.
Traveler Information Map
Go here to see a map of road conditions for major Missouri routes
Explanation of Road Conditions
Who's First? MoDOT's Plowing Priorities
How does MoDOT decide whose road gets plowed first?
How to Keep Your Driveway Clear
There is a right way to shovel your driveway