For more information, contact MoDOT Communications at 573-751-2840 or the local District Communications Manager at 1-888-ASK-M ODOT.
May 23, 2016 – For immediate release
JEFFERSON CITY – To help ensure summer travels are as carefree as possible, the Missouri Department of Transportation has developed a list of significant work zones to be on the lookout for this summer. Drivers will encounter delays in work zones on Interstate 70 and Interstate 44 for resurfacing and bridge repairs across the state. Lane restrictions are also expected on several other interstates including I-35, I-435, I-55 and I-270 as well as the Route 54/63 bridge construction over the Missouri River in Jefferson City. The majority of the construction work is for pavement and bridge repairs.
While most work zones will not be active over the Memorial Day weekend, it may be necessary for some lane closures to remain in place. Most routine work zones will stop at noon Friday, May 27 and will resume at 9 a.m. Tuesday, May 31.
“Driving too closely and driver inattention are the top two causes of work zone crashes,” said MoDOT’s Chief Engineer Ed Hassinger. “Please pay attention, put down your phone and drive safely in work zones. Take turns merging with the other drivers on the road. We want you and our workers to make it home safely.”
Motorists should pay attention to all signing, follow the posted speed limits, and take turns merging every other car, like a zipper, where lanes are closed. Always wear safety belts and be alert for slowed traffic, narrowed lanes or a reduced number of lanes. Many of these work zones may cause congestion and traffic delays especially during the peak travel times of daily rush hours and weekends including Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons.
The following list provides information on how the major interstate work zones will affect travel and for how long. Information on all MoDOT work zones statewide is available up to a week in advance on the department’s Traveler Information Map located at www.modot.org. The map is available as a free app available for iPhone and Android phones. The map also displays current traffic speed conditions and live camera views. Motorists can also call MoDOT’s 24/7 customer service toll free at 1-888-ASK-MoDOT (275-6636).
Missouri’s Major Traffic Impacting Work Zones for 2016
- I-44, St. Louis County and City - Pavement and bridge improvements on I-44 from Murdoch to Kingshighway includes one lane closed on I-44 in both directions around the clock until the end of the year.
- I-44, St. Louis City - Ramp renovation at the I-44 and I-55 interchange includes one lane closed around the clock on two I-44 ramps for five weeks. Both ramps will not be closed at the same time. Work will include full ramp closures overnight or on weekends. Three additional entrance/exit ramps will be closed for two weeks each.
- I-44/I-55, St. Louis City - Bridge improvements on I-44/I-55 between I-44/I-55 interchange and the Poplar Street Bridge in St. Louis City includes the closure of one southbound lane until the end of the year.
- I-70, Lafayette County – Resurfacing from MO13 to Saline County Line will include daytime lane closures ending in June.
- I-70, Cooper County - Bridge deck replacement on I-70 Lamine River bridges at mile marker 89 will reduce I-70 to one lane in each direction for 45 days scheduled between June and September. Expect lengthy delays on Friday and Sunday afternoons/evenings.
- I-70, Boone County - Project to replace three I-70 bridges over local streets in Columbia will affect traffic in both directions until September. During June and July, two lanes of I-70 will be detoured down the exit ramps and back up the entrance ramps.
- I-70, St. Charles County - Pavement work on I-70 from Warren County line to Wentzville Parkway will close one lane in each direction at night through the fall.
- I-70, St. Charles County - Interchange improvements at Fairgrounds and Fifth Street and I-70 includes various lane closures on I-70 and ramp closures through spring 2017.
- I-70, St. Louis County – Bridge repair work at the I-70/I-270 interchange will close various ramps and lanes on some weekends until mid-summer.
- I-70, St. Louis County – Bridge rehabilitation on the I-70/I-170 interchange will include single lane closure on I-70 around the clock for up to three weeks and various ramp closures through summer 2017. This includes work on the I-170 bridge over Natural Bridge Road.
Other high impact interstate and major route projects
- I-35, Clay County – Interchange and bridge improvements, and resurfacing will have short term lane closures, lane shifts and width restrictions until summer 2017 from Route 69 south interchange to Route 69 north interchange.
- I-435, Clay County – Resurfacing and widening work will periodically close lanes until late July from I-35 to Parvin Road. Resurfacing is scheduled at night.
- I-435, Jackson County – Bridge rehabilitation on six bridges from 23rd street to the Blue River and UP/KCT railroads will close various lanes on northbound I-435 through the summer. Two lanes will remain open on I-435 during construction.
- I-55, St. Louis County and City – Pavement and bridge repair from Lindbergh Boulevard to 4500 Broadway includes one lane closed each direction through the fall.
- I-270, St. Louis County – Bridge rehabilitation at Bellefontaine Road includes one lane closed each direction through the fall.
- Route 54/63, Cole and Callaway counties – Bridge painting and maintenance work on the westbound Missouri River bridge at Jefferson City has closed the westbound bridge for four months, mid-April through mid-August. Two lanes in each direction are using the eastbound Missouri River bridge. Expect delays during weekday rush hours and Friday and Sunday afternoons/evenings.
- Route 65, Greene County – Work to widen Route 65 and make improvements to bridges over Lake Springfield will close various lanes through fall 2017.