Major Traffic Impacts on I-70 in St. Charles County This Weekend
For more information, contact Communications Specialist Jessica Hochlan at 314-453-1814
May 17, 2016 - For immediate release
ST LOUIS – Major traffic impacts are ahead this weekend for drivers who use Interstate 70 in St. Charles County at mile markers 228 and 229. The Missouri Department of Transportation will close all lanes of eastbound I-70 between Route 94 and Fifth Street starting on Friday, May 20. Westbound I-70 from Fifth Street to Route 94 will have only one lane open overnight on Thursday, May 19 and then throughout the weekend. The closures are necessary to demolish the Fairgrounds Road bridge.
Below is the full schedule of closures:
Thursday, May 19
- Fairgrounds Road over I-70 will close at 7 a.m. and remain closed for about 120 days.
- Westbound I-70 will be reduced to one lane with lane closures beginning at 8 p.m. and all but one lane closed by 11 p.m. All lanes will be open by 6 a.m. Friday.
- The entrance ramp from Fifth Street to westbound I-70 will close starting at 8 p.m. It will remain closed for two months. Drivers can detour around the closure by taking Booneslick Road to Route 94 and back to westbound I-70.
Friday, May 20
- Crews will begin closing lanes on eastbound and westbound I-70 between Route 94 and Fifth Street at 8 p.m. All lanes of eastbound I-70 and all but one lane of westbound I-70 will be closed by 11 p.m.
- There will be intermittent full closures of westbound I-70 for about 15 minutes each as crews remove girders from the old bridge.
Saturday, May 21 and Sunday, May 22
- The full closure of eastbound I-70 continues and only one lane of traffic remains open on westbound I-70.
Monday, May 23
- Eastbound and westbound I-70 will be open by 5 a.m. with the exception of the left lane in both directions. Those lanes will remain closed around the clock for about two months.
Motorists should avoid the area if possible and can detour around the closures by taking Interstate 64, Route 364 or Route 370. Veterans Memorial Parkway, which carries only eastbound traffic, will be open for those trying to access the local businesses.
The work is part of construction of the new full interchange being built at I-70 and Fairgrounds Road. For more details on the I-70 and Fairgrounds Road/Fifth Street improvement project, go to