JEFFERSON CITY – With the upcoming closure of the westbound Route 54/63 bridge over the Missouri River in Jefferson City for repainting, the Missouri Department of Transportation is reminding motorists about several tools available to help them be better prepared.
- Traveler Information Map - located at www.modot.org, the map provides a variety of tools to help drivers see current traffic conditions on the bridge, including incidents, real-time traffic flow and traffic cameras.
- Incidents - Vehicle crashes and other incidents are noted on the map, which will inform drivers that the road is closed, to expect delays or that delays are possible.
- Real-time traffic flow - The map also shows real-time traffic flow, with green showing traffic is moving normally, yellow indicating that traffic is moving at a medium rate and red meaning traffic is moving slowly.
- Traffic cameras - There are four traffic cameras on the map that provide a view of traffic on and near the bridges. The cameras are located on the east and west sides of the bridges, at the Route 50/Missouri Boulevard interchange and at Missouri Boulevard west of Stadium.
- Text alerts – Those wanting to receive text alerts regarding the bridge project can sign up at www.modot.org/eupdate. The Missouri River Bridge option is located under the Central District heading.
- E-mail updates – MoDOT will provide periodic updates on the project’s progress to e-mail subscribers. Visit www.modot.org/central to sign up for this option.
- Carpooling links – MoDOT’s website offers links to carpooling resources that help link people who want to carpool. For more information, visit http://www.modot.org/services/carpools/CarpoolConnections.htm.
- 24-hour toll-free number – MoDOT’s toll-free number – 888-275-6636 – is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year. Callers can speak with a customer service representative to get the latest traffic information.
- Project website – Information about the project is updated regularly and can be found at www.modot.org/central.
The work to switch traffic from the Route 54/63 westbound bridge to the Route 54/63 eastbound bridge will begin the evening of April 29 and will continue through the weekend as weather permits. Because of rain in the forecast, MoDOT officials said it is difficult to pinpoint the exact time and day the westbound bridge will close and traffic will be switched to the eastbound structure. However, it’s expected the total closure will happen before morning rush hour either Monday or Tuesday depending on weather conditions.
“Some of the work we need to do can be done in the rain, except for laying new pavement stripes,” said Patty Lemongelli, construction and materials engineer for MoDOT’s Central District. “That’s the reason why we can’t pinpoint the exact closure.”
Drivers will encounter closed lanes on both bridges throughout the weekend as the contractor prepares for the full closure.
The bridge will be closed for painting and repairs for about four months.
Media Availability: MoDOT officials will be available for interviews at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 28 at the Carl G. Noren Missouri River Access.