| |
Missouri Department of Transportation

Social Media Facebook Twitter Flickr Blog YouTube RSS


International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)
The International Fuel Tax Agreement allows motor carriers to obtain a single fuel license and set of decals. Carriers file quarterly fuel use tax returns with their base state or province. The base state transfers payments to states or provinces the carrier traveled (or obtains refunds) based on the amount of fuel purchased and miles traveled within each jurisdiction.

International Registration Plan (IRP)
In the International Registration Plan, a motor carrier purchases a single, apportioned license plate in their base state. The plate is honored by all states and most Canadian provinces. Apportioned license plate fees are distributed based on the number of miles the equipment travels in each state or province.

Oversize Overweight
Motor carriers who haul loads that exceed Missouri's legal weight and size requirements must obtain Oversize Overweight permits. OSOW permits outline the route the carrier must travel when using the Missouri state highway system.

The Unified Carrier Registration is a base state registration program for payment of registration fees. Motor Carriers, Motor Private Carriers of Property, Freight Forwarders, Leasing Companies and Brokers are required to register and pay UCR fees. Registration fees are used to help fund state safety programs and enforcement.

MO Intrastate Operating Authority
For-hire motor carriers transporting property or passengers in intrastate commerce (wholly within) are required to apply for authority to operate in Missouri. The registration process promotes motor carriers safety and, because it requires continuous filing of insurance, their economic health.

Safety & Compliance
MoDOT Motor Carrier Services Safety & Compliance section encourage carriers' complicance with Missouri State Statutes and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations through education and enforcement.

Hazardous Waste/Waste Tire
Transporters of Hazardous Waste (includes waste oil, combustible liquids, corrosives, poisons/ toxins, flammable liquids, flammable solids, PCB's and infectious waste) must obtain a Hazardous Waste Transporter License Certificate. Transporters of Waste Tires (tires that are no longer suitable for their intended purpose because of wear, damage, or defect) must obtain a Waste Tire Hauler Permit. The license/permit issued is valid for one year and helps ensure environmental protection through proper disposal of waste.

Household Goods
Household goods carriers must obtain operating authority from MoDOT Motor Carrier Services before operating in or between Missouri municipalities and/or in commercial zones. Household goods carriers must also file applications to reflect increases and decreases in operational costs.

Trip Permits
MoDOT Carrier Express now allows any account holder to order trip permits online. If you have a userID and password for the MoDOT Carrier Express system, you’re ready to take the trip permits option for a spin.

The documents are provided in Acrobat Reader format. Free Acrobat Reader download PDF Icon


Quick Links
New Motor Carrier
Maps and Tools

Contact Us

MoDOT Carrier Express File Online
Open 24 Hours
MoDOT Carrier Express
Payment Options
Safety Regulations
Federal & State Safety Regulations
Training Opportunites
Legal Requirements

Northwest Northeast Kansas City Central St. Louis Southwest Southeast

About Us
How Do I...
Contact Us
Missouri Department of Transportation
Central Office
105 W. Capitol Avenue
Jefferson City, MO 65102
1-888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636)
1-866-831-6277 (Motor Carrier Services)
Drivers License Offices
| | |
Missouri State Government
© 2013 Missouri Department of Transportation. All Rights Reserved.   Privacy Policy.