COLUMBIA - Columbia is one of three locations where the Missouri Department of Transportation will hold public hearings for persons to review and comment on a Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) that describes how MoDOT could improve Interstate 70 with truck-only lanes between Independence and Lake St. Louis.
The public hearings are part of the SEIS review period that opened on January 30, 2009 and closes March 16, 2009. The open house hearings will be held at the following locations:
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
4 to 7 p.m.
Warren County Extension Center
107 W. Walton, Warrenton, Mo.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
4 to 7 p.m.
Activities and Recreation Center (ARC)
1701 W. Ash, Columbia, Mo.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
4 to 7 p.m.
Blue Springs American Legion Hall
499 SW State Route 7
Blue Springs, MO
The draft SEIS is a detailed document that evaluates how truck-only lanes in the 200-mile I-70 corridor alter environmental impacts and the recommendations identified in the previous I-70 environmental documents. Those documents, approved by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in 2006, recommended widening I-70 to six lanes. The SEIS also updates formal project goals and sets the stage to seek funding for design and construction of the recommended improvements.
No formal presentations will be made during the open-house hearings, allowing interested persons to come and go at any time. Maps and other pertinent information will be available for public review and comment. An online public hearing will be hosted at http://www.improvei70.org/ March 2 through March 16, 2009.
The Draft SEIS has been distributed to the following public viewing locations:
· Blue Springs - Blue Springs North Branch, Mid-Continent Public Library, 850 NW Hunter Drive
· Boonville - Boonville/Cooper Branch, Boonslick Regional Library, 618 Main Street
· Chesterfield - MoDOT St. Louis Area District Office, 1590 Woodlake Drive
· Columbia - Daniel Boone Regional Library, 100 W. Broadway
· Concordia - Concordia Branch, Trails Regional Library, 709 Main Street
· Hannibal - MoDOT Northeast District Office, US Route 61
· Jefferson City - MoDOT Central District Office, 1511 Missouri Blvd.
· Kingdom City - City of Kingdom City, City Hall
· Lee's Summit - MoDOT Kansas City Area District Office, 600 NE Colbern Road
· Macon - MoDOT North Central District Office, US Route 63
· Marshall - Marshall Public Library, 214 N. Lafayette
· Oak Grove - Oak Grove Branch, Mid-Continent Public Library, 2320 S. Broadway
· O'Fallon - Deer Run Branch, St. Charles City-County Library, 1300 N. Main Street
· Warrenton - Warrenton Branch, Scenic Regional Library, 912 S. Highway 47
An electronic version of the document is available at the study Web site, http://www.improvei70.org/. Web site visitors can view all or specific parts of the document and make instant comments.
Following public review, revisions will be made to the draft SEIS and a final version will be submitted to FHWA for a "Record of Decision." Once FHWA approves the SEIS and the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission concurs, MoDOT will be positioned to move forward with the project whenever funding becomes available.
The meeting sites are accessible to individuals with disabilities. To request translation services, other special accommodation and project information, please call 1-888-ASK-MoDOT (1-888-275-6636) or e-mail I70seis@hntbmail.org