Why do I need a permit?
Any work performed on MoDOT right of way requires a permit. Examples include, but are not limited to the following:
- Construction of new entrances
- Reconstruction of existing entrances
- Irrigation installation
- Utility installation or relocation
- Traffic control
How do I obtain a permit?
There are three ways to submit a permit application for processing.
1. Complete a permit application online. (coming soon)
2. Contact a MoDOT traffic specialist who oversees the area where your potential work are is located.
3. Print and complete a hard copy application and mail it and associated documents to our office at:
Missouri Department of Transportation
Central Missouri District
1511 Missouri Blvd
P.O. Box 718
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Depending on the nature of the work, other documentation may be required before your permit can be processed. Site plans, performance bond, certificate of liability, traffic studies, and in-person meetings with MoDOT staff, for example.
Before You Begin Work:
One you receive an issued permit for work to be performed on the right of way, there are several steps necessary before you begin work.
- Request a Missouri One Call locate for existing utilities. 1-800-DIG-RITE (800-344-7483)
- Complete the online "Notice of Intent" form to work on the right of way.
- If your work requires a lane closure, you must submit a request a minimum of two working days in advance and receive authorization from the MoDOT permit staff before closing any lanes of traffic. This request is included on the “Notice of Intent” form.
- You must keep a copy of the permit and approved plans on the job site at all times.
- Contact your MoDOT permit specialist a minimum of 48 hours prior to beginning work for all necessary inspections.
Find Your Permit Specialist:
Steve Brown - Camden, Laclede, Miller and Morgan Counties
John Kuhlman - Boone, Cooper and Howard Counties
Jerry George - Callaway, Cole, Gasconade, Moniteau and Osage Counties
Kim Hilburn - Crawford, Dent, Maries, Phelps, Pulaski and Washington Counties
Please call 1-888-ASK-MODOT (888-275-6636) to speak with the permit specialist for your county.
Engineering Policy Guide
Hay and Other Crops on Right of Way
Land Disturbance and Erosion Control
Local Road Work to Watch
Missouri Specification Book
Standard Plans for Highway Construction
Traffic Accident Statistics
Traffic Impact Study Requirements
Traffic Regulations: State Statues
Traffic Volume Maps
Work Zone Restriction Map