| |
Central District Facebook Twitter Flickr Blog YouTube RSS

MoDOT Permits

Permits to Work on MoDOT Right of Way

Central District

Why do I need a permit?

Any work performed on MoDOT right of way requires a permit. Examples include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Construction of new entrances

  • Reconstruction of existing entrances

  • Grading

  • Landscaping

  • Irrigation installation

  • Utility installation or relocation

  • Traffic control


How do I obtain a permit?

There are three ways to submit a permit application for processing.

1. Complete a permit application online. (coming soon)

2. Contact a MoDOT traffic specialist who oversees the area where your potential work are is located.

3. Print and complete a hard copy application and mail it and associated documents to our office at:

Missouri Department of Transportation

Central Missouri District

1511 Missouri Blvd

P.O. Box 718

Jefferson City, MO 65102

Depending on the nature of the work, other documentation may be required before your permit can be processed. Site plans, performance bond, certificate of liability, traffic studies, and in-person meetings with MoDOT staff, for example.


Before You Begin Work:

One you receive an issued permit for work to be performed on the right of way, there are several steps necessary before you begin work.

  1. Request a Missouri One Call locate for existing utilities. 1-800-DIG-RITE (800-344-7483)

  2. Complete the online "Notice of Intent" form to work on the right of way.

  3. If your work requires a lane closure, you must submit a request a minimum of two working days in advance and receive authorization from the MoDOT permit staff before closing any lanes of traffic. This request is included on the “Notice of Intent” form.

  4. You must keep a copy of the permit and approved plans on the job site at all times.

  5. Contact your MoDOT permit specialist a minimum of 48 hours prior to beginning work for all necessary inspections.


Find Your Permit Specialist:

Glen Cary - Camden, Laclede, Miller and Morgan Counties

John Kuhlman - Boone, Cooper and Howard Counties

Jerry George - Callaway, Cole, Gasconade, Moniteau and Osage Counties

Kim Hilburn - Crawford, Dent, Maries, Phelps, Pulaski and Washington Counties

Please call 1-888-ASK-MODOT (888-275-6636) to speak with the permit specialist for your county.

Useful Links:

Access Management

Engineering Policy Guide

Hay and Other Crops on Right of Way

Land Disturbance and Erosion Control

Local Road Work to Watch

Missouri Specification Book

Pedestrian Facilities

Safety Engineering

Standard Plans for Highway Construction

Traffic Accident Statistics

Traffic Control

Traffic Impact Study Requirements

Traffic Regulations: State Statues

Traffic Volume Maps

Utility Procedures

Work Zone Restriction Map

















District Map
Central District
Traveler Information
Traveler Map
call, cell, mobile, phone iconText Alerts - Sign Up!
Quick Links
Your Local Area Engineer
Report a Road Concern
Your Local MoDOT
Get your local district information.
Districts Map
Northwest Northeast Kansas City Central St. Louis Southwest Southeast
About Us
How Do I...
Contact Us
Missouri Department of Transportation
Central Office
105 W. Capitol Avenue
Jefferson City, MO 65102
1-888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636)
1-866-831-6277 (Motor Carrier Services)
Drivers License Offices
| | |
Missouri State Government
© 2013 Missouri Department of Transportation. All Rights Reserved.   Privacy Policy.
Howard Boone Cooper Morgan Camden Laclede Pulaski Phelps Dent Moniteau Miller Cole Crawford Washington Maries Callaway Osage Gasconade Northwest Northeast Kansas City Southwest Southeast Central St. Louis iTunes Android