| |
Missouri Department of Transportation

Social Media Facebook Twitter Flickr Instagram YouTube RSS

Permit Process FAQ's

What are some examples of when I need to get a permit to work on right of way?

Any work or activity performed on MoDOT right of way requires a permit, but listed here are some common examples:

  • Construction of new entrances or reconstruction of existing entrances
  • Grading
  • Landscaping
  • Utility installation or relocation
  • Traffic control

How do I apply for a permit to work on right of way?

As a part of our commitment to provide a personal, fast, courteous, and understandable response to our customers, there are three ways to submit a permit application for processing.

  • Apply online by providing our staff with required information.

    Call or email the Permit Specialist in your area to request a permit.

  • Print a blank application, fill in the necessary information and mail to MoDOT Permits.

Who are the Permit Specialists in my area?

Click on the Map located on the Permits Home Page to find the contact information for a Permit Specialist in your area.

What kind of initial information will I need to provide?

  • Your name, address, phone number, and email - if a contractor is doing the work for you, then the same information is required for the contractor
  • Location description – including county, nearest crossroads, nearest town
  • Description of the work you are requesting to perform on our right of way

Are there other items that the Permit Specialist may ask me to provide?

Depending on the nature and the size of the project, the amount of documentation that is necessary will vary. Below are some examples of additional items that may be required.

Is there anything more I need to do after I receive my issued permit?

YES - Once you receive an issued Permit to Work on Right of Way from a Permit Specialist, there are several steps that must be accomplished before you begin work.

  • Request a Missouri One Call locate for existing utilities.
  • Complete the online “Notice of Intent” form to work on the right of way.
  • If your work requires a lane closure, you must submit a request a minimum of 2 working days in advance and receive authorization from our staff before closing any lanes of traffic.
  • You must keep a copy of the permit and approved plans on the job site at all times.
  • Contact your Permit Specialist a minimum of 48 hours prior to beginning work and for all necessary inspections.

What is a performance bond?

A performance bond may be required for certain work on the MoDOT Right of Way.

The bond is provided to insure that the contractor’s performance is according to the work specified in the permit.

The specific dollar amount is dependent upon the scope of the work to be done. The Permit Specialist who is overseeing your specific project will assist with determining the appropriate amount.

If a performance bond is required, the performance bond form must be completed, executed, and notarized by the insurance company. Performance bond paperwork must be correctly completed before the issuance of a permit.

What is a “Certificate of Liability?”

MoDOT requires a “Certificate of Liability” for any work done by, or on behalf of, any public entity/local government. 

The certificate must be issued from a company authorized to issue insurance in Missouri and must name the Commission, and MoDOT and its employees, as additional named insureds in amounts sufficient to cover the sovereign immunity limits for Missouri public entities, as calculated by the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration, and published annually in the Missouri Register pursuant to Section 537.610 R.S. Mo."


The documents are provided in Acrobat Reader format. Free Acrobat Reader download PDF Icon

About Us
How Do I...
Contact Us
Missouri Department of Transportation
Central Office
105 W. Capitol Avenue
Jefferson City, MO 65102
1-888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636)
1-866-831-6277 (Motor Carrier Services)
Driver's License Offices
| | |
Missouri State Government
© 2013 Missouri Department of Transportation. All Rights Reserved.   Privacy Policy.
RSS FeedYoutubeBlogFlickrTwitter Facebook